Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Evil weather as a geological layer?!  (Read 1020 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Evil weather as a geological layer?!
« on: July 19, 2012, 03:14:46 pm »

So I started a new fortress in my modded copy of DF and looked around. Then I found this, about three z-levels above the river in a slight river valley.

Before you say "Oh, it's a mod, maybe a hidden feature": It's my mod and I know exactly what I put in it (the only inorganic material I added was a metal that explodes at room temperature). Anyway, this stuff hasn't melted (I'm in a Warm area and it's midsummer) or vaporized, but where my stairwell intersects with it I constructed walls around it just in case it does something horrible. All dwarves creepers that have touched it (both miners, my mason) remain perfectly healthy and I know they weren't wearing gloves, so it seems I have an... interesting... blue rock here that's probably made out of the souls of dead elves but remains inert. Another layer-ish thing of it was also found underground. Now here's my question:

Can it be weaponized?!

My other question is "has this happened before" but that's less fun.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Evil weather as a geological layer?!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 03:17:42 pm »

Does your mod have any duplicate names for anything? That's usually what causes crazy stuff like this.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 03:19:59 pm »

Does your mod have any duplicate names for anything? That's usually what causes crazy stuff like this.
Yeah, I tried modding, but my progress was stunted when goblins took over the world all the time, save for kobolds, and the new troll and gremlin civs. None of that was intentional.

Perhaps, Its frozen? I've heard of this before somewhere, don't remember the cause.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 03:20:52 pm »

It does! Darn, it's not as exciting as I thought.

I'll probably remove it because this stuff has kinda glitchy designations. If it behaved nicely I would have kept it :P

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 03:55:09 pm »

Even though the issue has been resolved, try a cave in. I can't imagine anything too special happening as it's just a glitch, but science.

If that cave in produces mist that makes eyes melt or turns things into zombies, I'm going to need a DL link.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 04:02:04 pm »

Just bugged world gen. It's happened before in vanilla DF. Although building a fort out of the stuff is nice too. It's relatively benign, though try setting it on fire first.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 05:07:30 pm »

Can I have the save? I'm sorta bored right now. :)
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 05:25:56 pm »

Can I have the save? I'm sorta bored right now. :)
Bad news, I deleted it because I needed to erase the saves to upload my mod D:

But you can generate worlds just like it with version 0.1 (I swear this isn't on purpose just to get attention for my AWESHUM MODING SKILLZORZ) of the same mod since it has the conflict :P