Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrants with "Teacher" skill...  (Read 2865 times)

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrants with "Teacher" skill...
« on: April 01, 2012, 12:14:05 pm »

I've never seen one.  Ever.  It's the only skill that migrants seem to be totally unable to obtain.  And since I've no clue how to train it up, is it possible this is the most valuable skill to embark with just out of scarcity's sake?
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants with "Teacher" skill...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 12:22:41 pm »

You can train the teacher skill by encouraging dwarves to teach others. This is done by putting them in a squad with others whose military skills are much lower than the prospective teacher's.

Basically, you get teachers by training a pair of soldiers up to legendary, then putting each of those dwarves in a squad of 2 with a recruit. That recruit will be trained up, slowly, and the legendary soldier's Teacher skill will improve. Once the recruit is at a decent skill level, you rotate them out and put in a new one. The next recruit will train up faster still; I had a recruit go from totally-unskilled to Great level (L10) within 3 seasons under a Great teacher with L20 axe/fighter/shield. The first recruit that teacher taught, though, didn't train up significantly faster or slower than another squad of 2 totally-unskilled recruits, so don't expect to see immediate benefit.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

dash27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 05:40:54 pm »

You can train the teacher skill by encouraging dwarves to teach others. This is done by putting them in a squad with others whose military skills are much lower than the prospective teacher's.

Basically, you get teachers by training a pair of soldiers up to legendary, then putting each of those dwarves in a squad of 2 with a recruit. That recruit will be trained up, slowly, and the legendary soldier's Teacher skill will improve. Once the recruit is at a decent skill level, you rotate them out and put in a new one. The next recruit will train up faster still; I had a recruit go from totally-unskilled to Great level (L10) within 3 seasons under a Great teacher with L20 axe/fighter/shield. The first recruit that teacher taught, though, didn't train up significantly faster or slower than another squad of 2 totally-unskilled recruits, so don't expect to see immediate benefit.

This is super helpful information.  Thanks!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 06:24:09 pm »

I have received Teachers, though usually not better than Adequate, and most often either Dabbling or Novice.  I don't see them often, however.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 08:13:39 pm »

One noob added to a squad of legendaries will benefit greatly from the teaching 80% of the time. This will quickly get you one more elite soldier, but you can only advance one noob at a time.

One legendary added to a squad of noobs will result in the noobs doing the teaching most of the time, and about 20% of useful teaching from the legendary. This is rather useless.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 12:44:36 am »

Curses, this conflicts with my strategy of making several squads, each with a different skill level. One is really advanced, one is conscripts, etc.
One noob added to a squad of legendaries will benefit greatly from the teaching 80% of the time. This will quickly get you one more elite soldier, but you can only advance one noob at a time.
I could do this.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 09:43:35 am »

Teacher skill is very rare on migrants. I have gotten a lv 10 teacher as a migrant once. Very rare, though.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 10:36:30 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've had pretty solid success with 6 teachers and 4 recruits. Supplementing the recruits training with arena fighting did great on getting everything well trained. Anyone else had success with a high teacher to student ratio?