Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Doctors evaluating, nothing else  (Read 838 times)

OperatorPants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Doctors evaluating, nothing else
« on: July 16, 2012, 06:00:53 pm »

Usually when I play DF I play the old 40d version, because I didn't want to learn all the new things in v31. Well now it's v34 and I know even less, wanted to fix that.

I've already learned a lot of the new features but I cannot for the life of me get hospitals to work properly. They always seem very finicky. My current problem is that I only have one injured dwarf, laying in his personal bed outside the hospital. The Chief Medical Dwarf and even some normal doctors just keep going into his room to clean and evaluate him but nothing else. They don't set his bones or treat him in any way. They don't even move him to the hospital.

What do I do to fix this? Do I need to get plaster before they'll even begin fixing him?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doctors evaluating, nothing else
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 06:05:48 pm »

Sounds like you need plaster and/or a splint. Perhaps also thread and a crutch. They need something to set the bone with.

OperatorPants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 06:32:04 pm »

I've got everything except plaster. Will I be able to ask for gypsum or plaster powder when the next caravan comes?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 06:34:00 pm »

I've got everything except plaster. Will I be able to ask for gypsum or plaster powder when the next caravan comes?

Yes, if your civ has access to it.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 03:54:12 am »

Check if he has arrows/bolts stuck in some body part and remove them (claim - dump).

Not sure if it's relevant here but I had a patient not getting sutured/dressed until the arrow was removed.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 04:03:37 am »

Do you have a traction bench? It's required for treating compound fractures.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 05:55:22 am »

and ofcourse, your doctors need the required jobs enabled (surture, bone setting, etc)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 11:51:51 am »

What treatment does the dwarf need?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

OperatorPants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 03:42:57 pm »

Hey all, update. I bought a metric-crapload of gypsum powder from the last caravan and that did the trick.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 10:41:38 pm »

aren't splints a replacement for plaster? that just takes a log on the carpenter's

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 11:34:52 pm »

I've never had problems using splints for everything. It'd be a touch unfair if they were necessary, unless traders bring plaster powder whether or not they have access to the relevant rock types.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 09:18:22 am »

It'd be a touch unfair if they were necessary, unless traders bring plaster powder whether or not they have access to the relevant rock types.

Traders will bring them even if they don't have the stones, same thing as with steel, coke or bronze and other alloys: If the civs has the reaction for it they will have it no matter if they have the materials.