Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to handle clothing?  (Read 1800 times)

Sphinx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How to handle clothing?
« on: July 16, 2012, 09:31:04 am »

Hello,
I am having big problems with the clothing of my dwarfs.
First the pile up there broken clothing in there room, i would like to get rid of this stuff.
Second they are unhappy because they are partially naked. Is the solution to simply start producing clothing? What parts should i produce, shoes, socks, trauser, dress or do they need more to be happy?

Hope for some good tips. Thanks so far for reading.

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to handle clothing?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 09:46:01 am »

Put cabinets in their rooms and they will put their crappy clothes in there to slowly rot away. You can try dumping the clothing but that sometimes works sometimes doesn't.

If you have a larger fort your best bet is to buy a ton of cloth and leather bins from traders and start making stuff. Shoes and trousers and vests/shirts are important for basic protection and to fend off bad thoughts. Other than that I1m not sure. shoes are made in pairs btw.

Sphinx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:35:36 am »

i looks like it is working, thanks

redsector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 10:51:32 am »

Does old clothing really rot away when stored in cabinets? I thought this would only happen in refuse stockpiles.

It seems to me that when dwarves drop stuff in their room, the "owned" flags on items will never wear out, therefore stuff will never be hauled back into a stockpile and cannot be dumped either. I've noticed this with my administrator, who dropped some old clothes in his office during the second year of my fortress. Five years later, they were still there and still marked as his personal property despite being designated for dumping the whole time. Cabinets will at least put them out of your sight, which is good enough to start with, but there seems to be no way of clearing ownership on items other than un-assigning the room (stuff dropped in a public place will eventually lose its "owned" status and be hauled/dumped away).

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 11:21:29 am »

Hmm.... maybe you could zone everyone's bedrooms as refuse stockpiles.  I haven't tried it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 12:00:20 pm »

Hmm.... maybe you could zone everyone's bedrooms as refuse stockpiles.  I haven't tried it.

That will let scattered clothes rot, forcing you to produce even more clothes and possibly causing bad thoughts should a dwarf try to wear something.

If you don't mind using DFhack, the "cleanowned" command is really helpful with this kind of stuff.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 12:12:58 pm »

Yeah, for clothes scattered on the floor, use the dfhack command "cleanowned scattered." This will clear the ownership of clothes that have been dropped on the floor. Be careful using just "cleanowned" by itself for this will remove all ownership from all items that belong to the fort.

"cleanowned scattered" will clear the ownership AND mark the items to be dumped. I like to use "autodump" right after "cleanowned scattered" with the cursor placed over my clothing stockpile, then reclaim it all once it's autodumped. Once it's reclaimed it will all get put into bins.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 01:00:19 pm »

What parts should i produce, shoes, socks, trauser, dress or do they need more to be happy?
They need at least an upper body covering (shirt, vest, dress, robe, cloak, or coat), lower body covering (trousers or skirt), and footwear (shoes, sandals, or socks)

Note: Dwarven dresses are apparently transparent below the waist. Dresses only count as upper body covering. Your dwarves will still complain about not having a lower body covering, even though their dress should cover that area.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 03:47:03 pm »

That will let scattered clothes rot, forcing you to produce even more clothes and possibly causing bad thoughts should a dwarf try to wear something.

You need to produce the clothing in any case.

The problem I was trying to fix is that dwarves sometimes drag their old, worn-out clothing to their bedroom and leave it there forever.  Sometimes, when they drop their old clothing to go get new clothing, it remains theirs; and then they go back and fetch it and put it in their bedroom.  Other times, when they drop their old clothing, it loses its ownership and gets hauled to a finished goods stockpile.  I've not been able to determine why it's inconsistent.  However, the clothing that gets stored in their bedroom is a major pain in the ass.  They never wear it again.  They don't get happy thoughts from it or anything.  It just sits there forever.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 04:06:03 pm »

I understand what you are trying to do, I'm just not 100% sure if a dwarf will never wear the xtrousersx he dropped if the one he is currently wearing goes XX and there is no new one available. This would only matter in the early game of course, when you haven' started massproducing clothes yet.
Then I'm not sure about side effects of refuse piles. They can rot armour too for example.

redsector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 07:41:39 pm »

However, the clothing that gets stored in their bedroom is a major pain in the ass.  They never wear it again.  They don't get happy thoughts from it or anything.  It just sits there forever.

Well, assuming you have enough space in your fortress, and the resources to mass-produce bedroom furniture, try building a second set of bedrooms. When enough clothes have accumulated in your dwarves' quarters, just undesignate all the old bedrooms and have everyone move into their new quarters. Then deconstruct the old cabinets (only the cabinets, all other furniture can stay). Since the rooms are not marked as bedrooms anymore, the clothes are now sitting on public ground and should, in theory, lose their "owned" flags after some time.

A few years later, do the same, only in reverse.

Not sure if it would work, but worth a try, I guess.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 07:43:18 pm by redsector »

Kongquistador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 11:48:18 pm »

Could you do the same by temporarily reducing the size of the bedroom (designating from the bed) to no longer cover the cabinet) and then remove the cabinet?  That would be easy enough to test on a small scale.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 12:36:53 pm »

Could you do the same by temporarily reducing the size of the bedroom (designating from the bed) to no longer cover the cabinet) and then remove the cabinet?  That would be easy enough to test on a small scale.
That would most likely result in a small pile of owned clothing sitting on the ground.  You'd have to use dfhack's cleanowned in order to do anything with it. 

Also, I don't think reducing the size of the bedroom would have any effect at all.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 12:53:14 pm »

and clothing from a bedroom seems to clash with dfhack somehow in that people will retrieve the clothing after it was dumped, or it won't be disowned at all
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.