Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ghosts as decorations  (Read 1200 times)

SquashMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ghosts as decorations
« on: July 16, 2012, 08:34:21 pm »

I discovered a very interesting bug.

Apparently, if you dig out the area underneath a ghost, they will float there forever, stuck.  I think it has something to do with how ghosts are flying but still think they're walking.  I accidentally got a ghostly glassmaker stuck above the ditch I'm going to use for dwarf-cleaning.  He hasn't moved a single tile in two whole seasons, I'm pretty sure that he's legitimately trapped there.  To clarify, both his tile and all the ones adjacent to him are channelled out.

So that's fact one.  Fact two is that my fortress is crawling with ghosts.

I would like to change the entrance of my fortress to be a bridge, and line it with trapped ghosts.  If I put 2-tile catwalks on the edges of the bridge, and deconstruct the tiles when ghosts are on the end points, they should be trapped there as permanent floating spooky decorations.  Does anyone know a way to lure the ghosts into position, to make this feasible?

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
Re: Ghosts as decorations
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 08:51:33 pm »

Kill dwarves at the desired ghost locations?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

FourierSeries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 08:51:45 pm »

Check to make sure he's not a "Forlorn Haunt"

They're not very energetic to begin with, such that I never even try to get rid of them.

I think they move, on average, something like one tile a year. Occasionally. Maybe.

Beyond that it's worth some more investigation.
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.
This was supposed to be a cool upgrade. All I got was more hostile zombies.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 08:53:01 pm »

have you trying memorialising him? by putting his remains on a casket/coffin/sarcophagus or by engraving a memorial plate?

when you put him to rest it should be gone, there are some ghosts that apparently just stand in a tile and don't move...

I had a miner that got trapped building a tunnel and died of dehydration, he just stood in the spot he died even before his body was discovered and declared dead (he was missing), then I got the message he was haunting my fort but all he did was stand put in the same spot, finally I put his remains on a casket and got the message he was put to rest and he was gone...

SquashMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 09:26:56 pm »

He is a forlorn haunt.  I have four more of those, they move more often than this so I thought he was completely stuck.

I've been memorializing the more violent ghosts to get rid of them, but I'm leaving the forlorn ones alone since I think it adds to the fort's charm  ;)

I'll post an update once the fort has gone another couple years, to see if the stuck ghost still hasn't moved.  I'm still thinking he's legitimately stuck.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 10:01:01 pm »

If you get a ghost that follows and torments the living, try waiting till it locks onto somebody, stationing the victim somewhere convenient, then arranging a 1 level deep cave-in from underneath.  If the ghost stays put for the fall and when the victim leaves/is hauled off to the hospital, (s)he probably is stuck.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.