Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventurer Mode: Howcome firing a bow takes 7-10 turns?  (Read 1156 times)

Zealord

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT:SUBURBS]
    • View Profile
Adventurer Mode: Howcome firing a bow takes 7-10 turns?
« on: July 16, 2012, 08:43:21 pm »

Question is in the title. If I shoot a bow, the game skips like 7-10 turns or maybe even more in steps. Mostly my archer will die because someone gets close to him. Is this a bug or is this supposed to happen?
This is great.

sisok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer Mode: Howcome firing a bow takes 7-10 turns?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 09:08:12 pm »

It probably has to do with your relative skill level, though I imagine there is always a slightly delayed rate of fire, otherwise NPC archers would be even more deadly.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:01:14 pm »

Maybe its pulling out an arrow, striking the arrow, drawing the bowstring, aiming, and firing and repeating.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 01:27:39 am »

as said before, due to skill level. Your adventurer just isn't a master archer and marksdwarf yet, so some fumbling and slow speed are to be expected. Bring meat shields or better, practice on bunnies first.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 01:46:45 am »

Pick up lots of stones and throw them. This trains Thrower, a ranged skill. Archer is raised too, sort of like Swordsmanship + Fighter. I got to Legendary +5 Archer without ever touching a bow.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 05:43:31 am »

Pick up lots of stones and throw them. This trains Thrower, a ranged skill. Archer is raised too, sort of like Swordsmanship + Fighter. I got to Legendary +5 Archer without ever touching a bow.

throw metal arrows or bolts, they're like javelins and the bad guys tend to keep me well supplied. It's better than constantly making new stones (if you sharpen them) and it allows you to keep a melee weapon and shield in your hand at the same time. It's just too bad you can't restack them.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.