Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Glass issues  (Read 494 times)

Captain Dorf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Glass issues
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:38:48 pm »

I'm trying to do this stupid dwarf trick: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Stupid_dwarf_trick#Dwarven_Courtyards, but I can't roof over the hole with glass. How would I do it?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Glass issues
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 12:47:00 pm »

You haven't actually told us how you're trying to do it, so any advice we give you could potentially be useless (i.e. telling you to do what you've already seemingly tried)...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Captain Dorf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 12:49:13 pm »

Oh, sorry. I'm spending points on clear glass on the embark, then getting my miners to dig stairs for about 4 z-levels, and then I channel a 6*7 area down for 4 z-levels. Hope this is enough.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 12:52:20 pm »

I'm spending points on clear glass on the embark
That's your problem - you brought raw glass, which can only be used by your jewelers for cutting and encrusting.

If you want to build constructions, you must use glass blocks, and those cannot be purchased on embark - you must make them yourself.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Captain Dorf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 12:53:25 pm »

Thanks!  :)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 12:57:13 pm »

To make a clear glass roof, you'd need sand bags and pearlash, and probably charcoal or coke. Sand bags can be bought on embark for cheap, or you can order sand gathered at a glass furnace. Pearlash is made from potash at a kiln. Potash is made from ash or lye at an ashery. Lye is very stupid to make potash out of, since you make lye out of ash but can make potash from ash directly, but is done with ash at an ashery. Ash is made from wood at a wood furnace. Wood is gathered by chopping down trees. Once you have a sand bag and a bar of pearlash, you need a glass furnace; order clear glass blocks to be made at the glass furnace. Once the clear glass blocks are made, you can build with them as you would with any other building material.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Captain Dorf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 01:00:02 pm »

Thank you, this is all very helpful!