Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lets Make an PnC Adventure: FOREVER! *Update 1*  (Read 886 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lets Make an PnC Adventure: FOREVER! *Update 1*
« on: July 17, 2012, 02:47:40 am »

Hello and welcome to my eternal quest to make a point and click adventure.

Though hopeless I strive to learn a bit more everyday until some day, maybe, a small glimmer of hope shall fall upon me and we will see something. I have for a long time annoyed people with asking for advice or a stepping stone on how to do this but apperantly this kind of a project is far beyond any earthly knowledge.

My ultimate goal will be to make the most simple Point and Click adventure game as possible while at the same time including elements I want to include in any full game such as: a "Look" and "Analyse" as seperate actions, A Crime scene view, and cool death reels.

I'll keep you posted on how things are going and I am happy to hear from you with any advice you may give!

-Progress So Far-
-Update 1: Asked for help here, downloaded Wintermute engine, was confused
--Community Update 1: Another suggested Engine Change to Java, Estimated time of 8 months. Person who offered assistance disapeared.

-Progress update 1-

A few weeks ago I posted on the help forum for some aid in making a point and click adventure. This was unsurprisingly unfruitful (One was Adventure game maker and another was a program that costs money) but within that post was some engine. Wintermute it was called.

I looked at the games created by it. Limbo of the lost was there. After I stopped screaming in terror I decided that perhaps this was the best program to use. Certainly with a much greater learning curve then the Adventure game maker, but it would actually allow me to do some things with the game.

So I booted it up and saw!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I shrank it a bit too much but lets just say I don't understand almost a single thing it speaks about, nor do I even know the first step. So my next goal is either to switch to something else or to find out what the heck I am doing.

Hope to hear from you!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 05:53:03 pm by Neonivek »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Make an PnC Adventure: FOREVER! *Update 1*
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 11:52:55 pm »

I wouldn't know anything about that engine, I'm afraid. I could probably help you make a java one? But that probably has all the basics covered. I'm sure there's a dedicated Wintermute guide/help forum somewhere.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 12:48:18 am »

I wouldn't know anything about that engine, I'm afraid. I could probably help you make a java one? But that probably has all the basics covered. I'm sure there's a dedicated Wintermute guide/help forum somewhere.

I wouldn't know the first place to start a Java engine.

Though given Limbo of the Lost (AHHHHHHHHH!) dropping Wintermute for genuin help is probably prefered.

Though where do I start?

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 01:17:27 am »

buy a book on Java or C++ and start reading it, you'll be ready to start making your game in ~8 months.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.