Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Turning invasions on after the game starts  (Read 606 times)

Inglonias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Turning invasions on after the game starts
« on: July 19, 2012, 01:15:41 pm »

I have turned invasions on after I started a fortress, and I now continue to play that fortress. Will it have any effect?
This is my favorite part of Bay 12!
Zack, my boy, practicality - or the lack of it - has never stopped a Dwarf Fortress player before. You want to find a way to play this game without your eyes? Someone here with the know-how will be able to help you and we'll be damned if we let a little thing like the practicality of a solution get in our way.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Turning invasions on after the game starts
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 01:19:45 pm »

Yes. It may take a few seasons, but invaders will begin coming into the fortress.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Inglonias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 01:20:02 pm »

Thanks for letting me know.
This is my favorite part of Bay 12!
Zack, my boy, practicality - or the lack of it - has never stopped a Dwarf Fortress player before. You want to find a way to play this game without your eyes? Someone here with the know-how will be able to help you and we'll be damned if we let a little thing like the practicality of a solution get in our way.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 02:44:35 pm »

As for when they'll show up, turning Invaders off and then on usually results in them showing up with caravans. The elves will inform you of any local kobold civilizations and the humans will tell you aout goblins; usually the minute their civilizations are added to the list is the minute they'll start showing up.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 04:29:26 pm »

As an alternative to disabling invaders outright, you may wish to play around with the population cap.  Until you have 80 dwarves, you won't get full scale sieges, just small ambush parties of 1-3 enemy squads.  So starting with a pop-cap of 20, then bumping it up by 10 dwarves every spring, gives you 5-7 years before you'd hit 80 dwarves.

I also like to change the titan attack trigger (TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER) during world gen to about double the starting values.  Which also buys more time before fun things come to visit.