Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Becoming the capital? (Also, clown college and magma 101?)  (Read 2066 times)

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Becoming the capital? (Also, clown college and magma 101?)
« on: July 13, 2012, 10:41:05 pm »

So I've finally established a stable fortress with a population of about 210. I've got three units of legendary warriors (two axe units and one hammer unit). I've got a stable food/glass/steel/gold/gem industry. I've got enough beds for everyone and multiple large dining halls and sculpted gardens. Now I've noticed a 'becoming the capital' button in the nobles screen. I have way more than enough architecture, but my offering remains at 0. I find this strange because on the latest visit, I purposely gave the diplomat 5000 Dwarfbucks worth of goods (gold goblets) as an offering. Now i'm wondering why it hasn't shown up on my screen as a proper offering. Also, does a fortress need to reach dukedom (currently a county).

Oh, also, i seem to have a clown fortress (that is the proper use of the term, right?), and I'm wondering what are some strategies for the ensuing circus if I open it? I cleaned out the undead around it with no trouble. Oh, and in regards to magma, I want to build a magma fuel industry. I've found a lake of magma and cleared out some room above it to channel the magma into, but I have a couple questions. First, do I have to dig a trench where I want the magma to stay? or can I just channel it into the rooms and build around it? Also, what can I use on z-level 160 as a reliable power source? Should I try and tap the underwater lake with some manmade rivers and then use gear assemblies to transfer the power, or is there another solution?

Wow, that was a lot more question than I thought. Thanks in advance.

Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mouthiest of Breathers
    • View Profile
Re: Becoming the capital? (Also, clown college and magma 101?)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 12:15:03 am »

Magma is unpressurized by default, so if you just dig a trench underneath it, channel a spot to be covered by your magma forge/magma smelter/magma kiln/magma furnace then it should work just fine.  No monsters should come out of it if you get the buildings done immediately.

I don't know about why your offerings aren't showing up on the nobles screen.  Maybe wait a few seasons or until the next caravan comes around.  Did the last caravan get of the map safely?  It was a dwarven caravan too right?

As for a reliable power-source underground, if you can get some water into an artificial lake that you later seal off, you can build pumps, and water wheels in front of them, and they will generate power.  How you do this is up to you, but make sure you have a way to turn it off as if nothing else, it will bring down your frames per second.

Lastly, I haven't been able to hold back the circus myself.  Although I'm not very good at maintaining a militia yet beyond abusing danger rooms and I'm trying to get past that.  So yea.  Try to get and train up some marksdwarves before you open the circus and arm them with metal bolts and shields.  Shield material shouldn't matter too much, but try to use heavy bolts like silver or bismuth bronze.

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 12:09:58 pm »

In my current fort, I discovered (much to my surprise) that Clowns will eventually destroy closed bridges. That said, I was able to use a bridge to temporarily blocked them off and then quickly build a wall to block off them from coming through once they destroyed the bridge. My recommendation is two build two bridges on the same lever so when you do breach the circus that you have enough time to.

Also they seem to get into the magma and sneak through magma forges too from underneath since they can fly.

I don't know about what is up with the offerings. Did the caravan and liaison make it off the map in one piece?

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 04:27:20 pm »

Well it looks like I just had to wait. The Queen has arrived and taken up her royal (wasted) chambers (doing nothing). Now I'm just struggling with understanding magma physics. I was able to dig under a magma lake, but have no idea how to dig through the roof to channel it down. I've been experimenting trying to dig down into a level full of magma using channels and stairs, but it's still a struggle (plus the miners have to travel 160 floors to go home to drink).

And as far as the Clown's Tent is concerned, it's got a Candy mechanism on top that I haven't been going anywhere near (for now), so I'm not too concerned, but I have noticed a few tiny clowns bouncing around in the lava. Either way, I'm hoping my marksdwarves will stop getting their lips and eyelids ripped off and actually get some skill soon.

Any tips on my magma problems so far?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 07:03:42 pm »

(plus the miners have to travel 160 floors to go home to drink).

The solution there is to create drink stockpiles along the way.  I always create small 1x5 or 2x5 drink stockpiles near any major work project.  It saves on travel time and dwarves don't care about where they're at when drinking.

Xerillum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 10:11:51 pm »

Since you have a lot of melee squads, a way to deal with the circus is to dig a sort of winding passageway, with very short straight segments. The purpose of this is to let your dwarves get into melee range without being stomped by the clowns' breath attacks.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 10:59:31 pm »

as a rule of thumb if you have the option don't use melee units to take out clowns; they'll almost always die before they're all killed.

One tip I read somewhere was stacking as many marksdwarves as possible (no matter the experience) on one tile next to a fortification, then when you release the circus they should automatically shoot a beam of bolts (assuming you equipped them all) at them and quite quickly finish off the clowns.