Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question Re Sand Collection  (Read 959 times)

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question Re Sand Collection
« on: August 16, 2014, 05:04:15 am »

In my latest embark (still in the previous version of DF) I have pretty much everything the aspiring megaproject could ask for, however . . .

The only sand on the map appears to be a few tiles that have a sandy floor, but the stone below them is not a sand tile, rather something else (mostly microcline)

Can I gather from these  tiles?

If I get vegetation growing over them and 'clean' them with the road trick, will they still be sand or turn into microcline?

If I put a grate on top of them to stop re-growth, will they change?

Well - I suppose I could answer all these questions by playing, but I will undoubtedly muck about with other projects before getting around to trying to grow glass.  So if the answers are known, - I would love to hear them.

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Question Re Sand Collection
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 07:37:57 am »

The only sand on the map appears to be a few tiles that have a sandy floor, but the stone below them is not a sand tile, rather something else (mostly microcline)
If "the stone below them" refers to microcline walls on the next z-level down, then it won't affect the sandy floor and you can gather from it and road it over fine.
However, a "pile of sand" on a "microcline floor" can't be gathered from and will be cleaned up by a road.
Vegetation can sometimes turn muddied rock floor into the soil type of your biome, but never soil into rock, and the type of soil always depends on the location of the patch, so vegetation won't destroy your sand tile. It will prevent gathering until you clean it away with a road, though.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 07:42:34 pm »

Awesome, TY.

Yes the tile below them is a microcline wall, you understood me well enough.

So I can look forward to eventually have dwarves go gather sand from the caldera of this volcano (I could put in safety rails, I suppose) and thus have pretty much every resource you might want from this map - including unicorn burgers :)

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 02:48:32 pm »

Make a zone over it if it's a floor. if (s)and comes up, boom, you have sand. If it's still a wall you'll need to dig it out, though.

That's how I find sand. :/ I just flail around with zones hoping to find some sand or clay.