Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soothing Areas  (Read 992 times)

Zaqew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Soothing Areas
« on: July 13, 2012, 02:50:20 am »

Waterfall. How make?

Can I also make a garden (with greens) next to the underground waterfall?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Soothing Areas
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 04:34:05 am »

you get water somewhere above where you want it to fall down, using either a pump or pump stack or natural flow (aquifer/river) then let it fall down. Either pump it back up or let it evaporate, which might require a large evaporation area
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 09:13:13 am »

A way for getting rid of the water is to drain it into a lower cavern. (NB: That will, however, be hard on the FPS).
An alternative drain is 'the map edge drain'. You can't mine the border, but you can smooth it, and then engrave fortifications. The result is a safe opening out that absorbs any amound of water.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 10:11:20 am »

Waterfall. How make?

Can I also make a garden (with greens) next to the underground waterfall?

If you're trying to make your dwarves happier, remember that they receive a happy thought from walking through the mist that falling water generates, not the water itself. All you need to do is drop water from one z level to another to create mist. The wiki page on mist has alot of useful info, including designs for a mist generator for use in your dining halls, barracks, or anywhere you want mist constantly without massive FPS drops.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 04:48:06 pm »

The best soothing area is a shooting area... where a shooter makes you soother... oh, never mind.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Zaqew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 09:30:40 pm »

So... Can I use channels?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 09:55:02 pm »

It takes a while to set up, but I like to use an extended version of this above my bigass dining room..  I use the most expensive statues I can come up with as traffic blockers under the water drop points, and I have one side of the waterfall chain be outside the dining room in the corridor.  Dwarves have to pass two or three incredibly nice statues and waterfalls just to reach the dining room, and on their way back out.  That same corridor also leads to the Mayor's office, keeping him happy and helping to make his job of soothing disgruntled citizens easier.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.