Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You are the Guildmaster of an Adventurers' Guild (Revamped)  (Read 2377 times)

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You are the Guildmaster of an Adventurers' Guild (Revamped)
« on: August 29, 2012, 01:19:14 am »

Introduction

You are [INSERT NAME HERE], a golem.  And, as far as you are aware, the only golem in the world.

Ten years ago, your former master Alex Lancester found the disassembled pieces of you after falling into a cave while exploring the mountains on the outskirts of the Free City of Armstrong.  He took you back to his home and re-assembled you.

You have no memories of your existence before your discovery by Alex.  The two of you soon find out, however, that you are literally unable to leave the island on which Armstrong is located, as an irresistible force drags you back onto the land whenever you so much as place one foot onto the surrounding sea or a boat floating on it - which suggests that your existence is somehow linked to the island itself.

You served Alex as his valet since you were found by him, until his death from illness and old age six months ago.  Alex’s third last act, before his death, was to release you from your mystic bonds of servitude to him; his second-last act was to will all his assets and property to you, his sole “family member”; and his last act was to engage the famed law-speaker Chun Lan Ting to argue for your behalf before the city administration and secure for you full rights of personhood and official recognition as a free individual. 

It has taken Lan Ting the past six months, and most of the assets in Alex’s estate, to complete his assignment, and today is officially your first day as a free person.  Unknown to you (until the reading of Alex’s will at Lan Ting’s office), Alex had in his youth been an adventurer and explorer of minor fame, before settling down to found and manage an adventurer’s guild in Armstrong.  Although he had shuttered the guild doors twenty years ago, for reasons unknown to you or Lan Ting, he had continued to make the annual payments to the city for the guild charter and his charter has passed down to you together with the rest of his estate. 

You have decided to revive Alex’s guild in memory of him, and also because you do need to make a living for yourself.  As a golem, you do not need to eat or drink like humans do, but conversely you need to make regular repairs and maintenance on yourself for which spare parts and materials are required, and in the past ten years you have also come to appreciate some of the finer things in life like music, dance and other forms of entertainment. 

In appreciation of the fees which Alex’s appointment has enabled her to earn, Lan Ting has agreed to offer you the use of one of her properties as your guild-house, rent-free for the first year, to get you on your feet.

Spoiler:  Map of the Region (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Background - Magic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Gameplay – Time (click to show/hide)

Before we begin the game proper, please answer some questions about yourself.

(a)  What is your name?

(b)  What is the name of Alex’s (now yours) guild?

(c)  Among the items in Alex’s estate (that part of it which was not used to pay Lan Chun Ting’s fees) is a single, small, enchanted item.  Is it: (i) a spoon; (ii) a sewing needle; or (iii) a pebble?

Coming up next: 

1.  Your current inventory and assets.

2.  A map of Armstrong.

3.  Notable persons and institutions in Armstrong.

4.  Your very first assignment.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: You are the Guildmaster of an Adventurers' Guild (Revamped)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 04:05:51 am »

Name: Gerard Lombardo

Guild Name: Heroes For Hire

Item: Spoon?

WraithLord24

• Bay Watcher
  • I appear then disappear without a trace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 03:48:25 pm »

Name: George Rockfist

Guild Name:
Fairy Tail (yes from the anime)

Item: Spoon (what do they all do?)
Im a Lurker I tend to disappear dont just assume im totally gone cause Ill then pop up at odd times.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 04:13:16 pm »

Name: Gerald Lancester

Guild Name: Strongarm Adventurers' Guild

Item: Spoon!
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

WraithLord24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 04:42:53 pm »

Damn does everyone just like spoons? :D
Im a Lurker I tend to disappear dont just assume im totally gone cause Ill then pop up at odd times.

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 06:10:11 pm »

Preview - Map of the city / Notable persons and institutions

Spoiler:  Map of the City (click to show/hide)

The game proper will commence in my next post.  In the meanwhile, you may continue to vote on the names of our protagonist and his guild and the enchanted item bequeathed by Alex.

WraithLord24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 06:47:02 pm »

Question it says Heroes for Hire on the map so doesn't that mean that is already a Guild named that? Or is it just something like a place holder for our Guild's name.

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 07:09:03 pm »

Question it says Heroes for Hire on the map so doesn't that mean that is already a Guild named that? Or is it just something like a place holder for our Guild's name.

Placeholder for our Guild's name. 

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 07:11:16 pm »

Introduction

You are [INSERT NAME HERE], a golem.  And, as far as you are aware, the only golem in the world.

Ten years ago, your former master Alex Lancester found the disassembled pieces of you after falling into a cave while exploring the mountains on the outskirts of the Free City of Armstrong.  He took you back to his home and re-assembled you.

He built a GOLEM out of SCRAP in a CAVE guys.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

WraithLord24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 09:43:38 pm »

Introduction

He built a GOLEM out of SCRAP in a CAVE guys.
Actually he rebuilt a GOLEM out of SCRAP in a cave. But still that still seems pretty badass. 8)

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 09:54:35 pm »

It is no mere spoon we are looking at, it is a +0 teak spoon of greater uselessness.

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 03:44:47 am »

Year 1, Week 1, Day 1
Early Morning

Yesterday was your last day as a guest of the Lans.  You waste little time moving your personal belongings into your personal quarters in the guildhouse of Strongarm Fairy Adventurers for Hire.  “Were there actually fairy adventurers around when Alex was still running the place?” you muse.  Something to explore when you have the time.

You take stock of your personal holdings and note how little you have to work with – 4,000 Armstrong Dollars, barely enough for 4 months’ minimal living expenses; a lease for a thread-bare building that runs out in a year, albeit rent-free during the year that you do have it; and a little spoon that glows in the dark without giving away the bearer’s position.  Not too much use to you, since you won’t personally be doing very much cloak-and-dagger stuff (you hope), but some of your adventurers are sure to find it handy.

“At least Lan Chun Ting has promised me ‘something I’ll find interesting’,” you think to yourself as you open the envelope her manservant gave you this morning before you left their house.  Hoping for a bundle of hard cold cash, you instead find a letter written in Chun Ting’s fastidious script.

An escaped desert rat in the city, especially one with a distinctive mark on its back, should not be too difficult to track down, being an unusual sight with an unusual diet and alarming behavior.  Alternatively, if you are feeling daring, you can always hunt down another wild rat in the desert and paint a spiral mark onto its back, explaining away any discrepancies with the original as changes induced by the stress of a harried existence in an unnatural city setting.

You have 8 Time Units left for today.

What do you wish to do?

Meta-chat:  If you want to look for an adventurer to recruit, you may want to visit one of the taverns.  There may also be potential adventurers at the other places named in the city map.  If you don’t want to take up the job for now and just want to explore the city and talk to various people and see if you can get other contracts, you can also do that.  I’ve deliberately given a fairly generous timeframe and lowered the amount of immediate monetary pressure so that you can explore in relative leisure, if you so desire.

Spoiler:  Map of the City (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 03:52:21 am by JosephWongKS »

WraithLord24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 12:58:05 pm »

Can we just catch it I mean we are a golem after all I think the hardest part about catching would be that it is venomous and being a golem i assume would make being posioned impossible. If so lets just catch it. If not just find some poor guy down in his luck at the bar and have him go get it and pay him say $25 half in advance to show him we're not jokeing and tell him that if he does good he might get some more jobs form us. Also before u send him off make sure the guy isnt that drunk last thing we would need would be for him to stagger out in front of a carriage.