Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Equiping Civilians  (Read 879 times)

Minarin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Equiping Civilians
« on: July 12, 2012, 03:48:58 pm »

I'm trying a kind of harvest dwarf fortress and was wondering if there's a way to get your dwarfs to equip armour and weapons without being in military?

Thanks in advance.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Equiping Civilians
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 03:52:50 pm »

I think the usual method is to put everyone in the military, assign them simple uniforms, order those uniforms to be worn even while inactive, then just never activate the squads.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Minarin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 03:53:42 pm »

Thanks.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 03:55:18 pm »

If you do put everyone (except miners, hunters, and woodcutters, as they have a uniform conflict) into squads, I'd recommend crossbows for all civilians. They'll fire them while off duty, instead of just running around like idiots every time a rabbit is enraged, and they're cheap to produce in large quantities.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 03:58:27 pm »

If you do put everyone (except miners, hunters, and woodcutters, as they have a uniform conflict) into squads, I'd recommend crossbows for all civilians. They'll fire them while off duty, instead of just running around like idiots every time a rabbit is enraged, and they're cheap to produce in large quantities.

Been thinking about using that one myself, but I've never tried it.  Can they work with a uniform that includes only a crossbow, assuming there are enough quivers and bolts to go around?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 04:05:29 pm »

I usually micro it to the point where they're all wearing the same uniform of clothing and armor, but yeah, just crossbows would work fine.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 04:15:31 pm »

"Let no child be without a sword. We must all fight, for if we do not, we will surely die." ~ Unknown

This sounds to me like the Second Amendment taken to an extreme. It's certainly a great way to ensure even your non-military Dwarves won't be completely helpless in a fight... typically I end up with tons and tons of leather armor or cheap metal pieces I'm never gonna use, since my real fighters are always armed with at least iron. Since it's so easy to mass-produce bars of metal now, you may be able to churn out stack after stack of copper/bronze bolts to arm your Dwarves. Interesting idea...

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 04:19:03 pm »

I think bone bolts are probably more appropriate for civilians.  They're cheap, and the stack size is smaller, which (just a hunch) seems likely to discourage the civilian from standing around for too long if he manages to slow something down with a leg shot or whatever.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 07:11:05 pm »

Then the potential exists for a tantruming civvy  to go berserk equipped with a weapon
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 08:20:23 pm »

So don't give your civilians reason to tantrum.  Not having friends dead of wildlife or wimpy invaders because they were denied the right to bear arms is a step in the right direction.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 09:57:53 pm »

Even five bolts take a while to fire. The smaller stack size does make the number-crunching easier (5 bolts per stack + 25-bolt fill limit on quivers = 29 bone bolts to a quiver, maximum), but given how few shots a lone civilian will get I'd rather make them count.

Metal bolts will also make it less likely that the fortress grinds to a halt for a lone kobold thief not because everyone runs around for one round of panicking while the thief escapes, but because everyone who gets within firing range stands there and keeps on shooting because the bone bolts mostly just keep the thief unconscious.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 10:05:51 pm »

All ambushers, that would load all the dwarfs up with leather armor, quivers, and a leather shield, I think.  As long as ya had the gear, or started with the skill at embark.  Ya wouldn't need any beds with all ambushers, since hunters sleep elsewhere, well until a made a noble was assigned.  Crossbows and bolts would need made.  Ambushers no longer start with those. 

That would equip all your guys without a militia.  Kinda stinks we cannot modify the hunter's, miner's, and woodcutter's uniforms.  But I guess its meant to be that way for a reason.  I agree, the military menus are tough to learn, until played around with, a couple dozen times.  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 11:24:48 pm »

Then the potential exists for a tantruming civvy  to go berserk equipped with a weapon

All the more fun.

One of the most epic moments in one of my fortresses, was in a fully militarized fortress. All the haulers were armed with crossbows. One of my clothiers went moody and wanted some random kind of boring generic grey rock to make his artefact. It just happened I didn't have that particular shade of boring generic grey rock.
The clothier went berserk, and was instantly shot and killed by a passing lye maker, one bolt, right between the eyes. Cool as.

Basically the whole 'zerking thing doesn't work so well when everyone is armed to the teeth. It's really horrible being a kobold or goblin thief in one of those fortresses. They're sighted, and instantly grow 20 bolts and collapse in a bleeding pile of pain.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Caprealis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Next Crusade~ Praise Armok!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 10:59:49 am »

I usually leave my civilians with the default archer uniform.

Leather armor seems to build up in the stockpiles more then anything

Its better to assign them to squads early in the fort though, Putting a few hundred dwarfs in the millitary gets annoying,
Hello, My name is irrelevant, And I represent no one.
And there is no place like 127.0.0.1