Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can a civilization be wiped out?  (Read 1495 times)

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can a civilization be wiped out?
« on: July 12, 2012, 01:14:45 am »

I'm on year five or six now, and my fortress is doing quite well. I have a baron and a fully functional steel/gold industry. I've faced two major sieges, and each time a major leader of the nearest Goblin civ was among them (and executed unceremoniously). Now there is only one left, a Ranger/Lawgiver, and I was wondering what happens to the civilization if the Lawgiver attacks with the next siege and is executed?

On an interesting side note, I wanted to tell the story of one of my bravest warriors, known as the Lacy Cruxifixion. She refused to stay inside behind the traps, instead facing the hordes by herself. I kept trying to call her back with her comrades. She refused, despite being nausiated by the sun. She struck down about forty goblin macemen and spearmen before my other squads could reach her side. By that point, she was still uninjured and tearing through goblins left and right. Nearly the entire hillside was covered with dwarf blood by the end of it, but the Lacy Cruxifition refused to return to duty until all her fellow citizens were safe and the invaders were all dead or driven away.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can a civilization be wiped out?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 01:20:13 am »

Civilizations cannot be wiped out in fort mode. If you kill all of a civilization's leaders, that civilization will simply have no leaders. The goblins will still bring you gifts every so often. The only significant thing that a civilization's leaders do regarding sieges is provide mounts; each type of animal that invaders can come in on was tamed during world gen by one of their leaders, and if that leader is killed, they will not come mounted on those creatures anymore. No leaders means no mounts.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 01:22:54 am »

Alright and quick question, I've read that the necromancers can reanimate refuse piles. I had a run in with an undead siege in an older fortress, but was wiped out far too quikcly. Could I lock up my refuse pile with a lockable door to protect it from necromancers? Can they still animate through walls? Also, if they do, could I take care of the siege, then simply send in some axe dwarves to clean out the piles?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 09:28:08 am »

From what I understand, necros need sight lines to the remains in order to reanimate them.

Since undead are rather weak, just lock your refuse piles away behind closed doors and maybe put (10) or so wooden spiked ball traps that have to be crossed over in order for anything to escape the refuse pile.

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 12:59:46 pm »

Sounds like a plan. I've already walled it off and there isn't much room but I could definitely fit a few traps just in case. The Goblin attacks don't seem like much of a threat, and forgotten beasts aren't too dangerous and can easily be locked out, so I'm just trying to prepare for the next worst thing. Thanks.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 01:09:18 pm »

actually, if you exhaust all the historic migrants, would migration stop?

there would be none available for liaison for example
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.