Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: smelter stopped working  (Read 333 times)

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
smelter stopped working
« on: July 12, 2012, 03:44:13 am »

It was all well just an hour ago. Now everything is in red and I cant smelt anything. I have ore, coke and a legendary furnace operator. The Workshop profile has not been altered. I even tried deconstructing and rebuilding it but didn't help. I tried making a second smelter next to it but that was all red too. Can someone give me advice? I have this feeling that I'm overlooking something obvious.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: smelter stopped working
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 04:16:40 am »

What about the stockpile settings? Maybe you changed them accidentally to "give to" or "take from".

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 05:00:12 am »

No I made sure of that too.

I did manage to solve the problem. Looks like if I give the order through the manager it gets done.

I found a bug that makes a smelter  stop working  when put into a burrow. Its probably that.

Thanks for the help.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 07:42:47 am »

I've seen cases where long-running repeat jobs will just stop working, but it's somewhat random and hard to make happen.

1) Have a stockpile that feeds the workshop
2) Put the workshop on repeat to make a bunch of things

Even without burrows, even with dwarves that have "no job" and the proper labor type, no manager, no restrictions on the workshop, nothing forbidden, the workshop will eventually go idle.

The solution so far has been to queue the building for destruction (q-x), then immediately reverse that decision.  This clears out the job queue for that workshop.  Then recreate the jobs.  (I have not tried deleting the jobs and recreating them.)

I suspect that there's a way for a job or workshop to get "stuck" in 34.11 in a way that it can't be started/used, which blocks up the whole list of jobs in that workshop's queue.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 10:26:07 am »

Its not really a bug. If you put a furnace/smelter in a burrow, anything needed for a reaction needs to be in that burrow also.(That drove me crazy for awhile)
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration