Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Controlling Fire  (Read 342 times)

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Controlling Fire
« on: July 14, 2012, 07:11:02 am »

So, I recently had the unpleasantness of being attacked by a dragon. I killed it with my marksdwarves, with two deaths and some others with burnt parts. Now, fire is spreading through half of my map, which is a plain cut through by a river.

How should I deal with this? I have kept my dwarves and animals inside, but is there any way to minimize damage?
Does the fire count as dragonfire, or does only the burst of flame from the dragon's mouth count?
There is a human caravan currently packing up and leaving, with many bought and sold items still in the Trade Depot (made out of marble, I think). Will the items inside burn? I suppose the trade caravan will probably die.
Finally, half of my pastures are burning to ashes. Does the grass ever regrow? I've made some underground mossy land, but I'm not sure if it's enough.

Thanks.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Controlling Fire
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 10:41:53 am »

only the fire breath is dragon fire, the rest is normal fire, which can be dangerous enough. Fire doesn't spread over z-levels, so fire gullies are an option. It also only spreads to adjectant tiles, so if you can simply make sure it will be contained by making dirt roads everywhere or something similar, you'll have effectively created a stop. I'm not sure if simply putting a stockpile on top would help, iirc that was to stop trees from growing.

And yes, it'll grow back in time. You may have to cull your herd (slaughter some) so they survive underground untill either underground expands or the above ground has grown back. I advice to try and get everything underground anyway
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.