Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need character ideas!  (Read 607 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
I need character ideas!
« on: July 15, 2012, 11:16:42 pm »

Long story short, I run a Dungeons and Dragons game, and I need character ideas. My players have an encounter coming up that will involve a powerful foe of each alignment. Each is level 10 and uses gestalt rules and whatnot (as do the players), but I don't really need much help making them mechanically, I'm just plumb out of ideas for characters, at least for the weekend. Characters human unless otherwise noted.

What I have for each alignment:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, yeah. There are holes in Lawful Neutral and Chaotic Evil, plus Neutral has a fairly crapical character in it. Anyone have ideas? I'll even take ideas for filled slots, I can always use more NPCs.

(And perhaps other people need ideas, too!)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: I need character ideas!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 11:00:57 am »

Now that I'm not incredibly tired, I'll clarify a little. I'm primarily looking for motivations and the like that will help me produce a good character. I'm just not sure how to make a truly neutral character without it running over to some other alignment. I don't even understand chaotic evil, so it's been difficult to come up with a character. (Lawful evil or even neutral evil aren't hard, but a self-serving variety is a bit harder to do without going into baby-stomping territory, which is just plain weird. Every campaign needs villains, I guess.)

So, what kind of motivation does a neutral character have? What kind of actions constitute chaotic evil?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 11:22:21 am »

Chaotic evil, best describes as bat shit insane, will attack just about anything for no reason at all, thinking not at all for strategy or if the target is too powerful, just full on DF aventurer style, licking blood off this and biting on that, throwing cats at bronze colosii.

Neutral characters want balance in everything and will switch sides in a battle if a monster is outnumbered by his party, they will often waste time thinking and observing sides and not really fight on their own as long as they think things are balanced.

Lawful neutral is the kind of character that will uphold the law, any law, every law, to the letter, and pound you if you dont, as long as its not ageinst the law, doesnt care if the law is just or unfair, you break it your getting the punishment, I always imagine hammerers as this.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 01:22:58 pm »

Trying having some kind of killer plant monster/zombie plague/cosmic horror or the like as your chaotic evil, I think that would count.

For your Lawful Neutral you could have some kind of pacifist hippy who doesn't side with anyone but wants peace...
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 04:32:40 pm »

I haven't played tabletop Dungeons and Dragons, but I've probably sunk like a hundred hours into Baldur's Gate, so I'm sorta familiar with it. That said, I think the DnD alignment system is inherently flawed and suggest you don't worry too much if the alignments don't quite match what the books say they're supposed to be. :P

Anyway, Lawful Neutral is typically for Inspector Javert style characters, but I think anyone who feels like a robot in a cast of humans would work. A calm, polite and professional mercenary/assassin/whatever who would never ever break a contract a finds the very thought completely alien. A ruthlessly efficient ruler who sees his subjects as statistics rather than people, but feels obligated to guarantee their well-being nonetheless. An actual robot, ie. some kind of intelligent construct, who's spent the last several centuries trying to complete a fetch quest for his long-dead master. Or Inspector Javert, of course. Someone who's going to chase the party to the edge of the world for an unpaid traffic violation and would rather die than let them get away, no matter how justified it would be.

Chaotic Evil seems pretty straightforward to me. A schizophrenic who wants to kill the party because the Voices told him to. A paranoid who wants to kill the party because he thinks the they are in league with the Mind Flayers. A monomaniac who wants to kill the party so he can have their teeth. A sociopathic adventurer who wants to kill the party for experience. Just have a guy who wants to kill the protagonists for some arbitrary reason that doesn't really make sense, and does not necessarily involve any kind of obvious benefit for the killer.

Or you could take the Planescape: Torment approach, and make True Neutral the "batshit insane" alignment, reserving Chaotic Evil for people who are purposefully and and selflessly trying to further the cause of Evil. Maybe a cultist who worships an evil deity/fiend/Great Old One, or perhaps just a freelance puppy-kicker who has dedicated his life to the pursuit of evil and feels compelled to do evil regardless of its utility. Hey, it works for good-aligned characters. :P In this case, flat Neutral would be anyone who doesn't think about the consequences of his actions enough to have an alignment. Lunatics, soulless automations and generally people who are incapable of thinking that the act of attacking the party could have some kind of moral ramifications.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 04:35:58 pm by Soadreqm »