Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anything useful to be made out of Forgotten Beast corpses?  (Read 1754 times)

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anything useful to be made out of Forgotten Beast corpses?
« on: July 11, 2012, 02:42:08 pm »

So I recently had my first battle with a few forgotten beasts. I had unearthed a cavern underneath my fortress (about forty levels down) and sealed it off for a few months well I finished forging the rest of my steel armor/axes. So I finished up training and arming, and by that time I had about three forgotten beasts crawling around under my home. I unsealed the cave and sent about 20 axem rangers down, who quickly dismembered a blind eagle in a shell, then a gaseous feathered lobster, and finally a six legged crocodile made out of coke. Now I'm wondering what I should do with the remains. I am dumping them for now, to prevent miasma leak, but is there anything useful to be made out of the dead abominations?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anything useful to be made out of Forgotten Beast corpses?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 02:45:05 pm »

Get your butchers ready.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 03:31:38 pm »

Most Forgotten Beasts should be butcherable and produce a LUDICROUS bounty of bones and meat for your Cooks and Bone Carvers to play with. For this same reason, though, if your map is an Evil biome or you have Necromancers around, for the love of Magma keep them away. You don't want to see what happens when a Necromancer reanimates an entire stack of FB bones.

...that is, if they can reanimate entire stacks.

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 03:35:15 pm »

All the usual stuff is usable in all the usual ways (meat, bones, skin, etc).  Meat in particular is fun, as most FBs produce huge stacks of 100+.  I saved up four of them once and had my legendary cook make a FB roast consisting of over 600 units of food.  All that aside, the really cool-looking things that some FBs can leave behind (feathers, scales, chitin, stingers) are sadly useless.
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 07:22:24 pm »

All the cool looking things could likely be used in Adventurer Mode if the fortress ever fell.
I can see me now, a dwarf charging at a Dragon with a feather in each hand.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 07:40:04 pm »

It's worth noting that, functionally, bones and leather are all the same: Chicken Bones and Dog Leather are exactly the same, except for monetary value, as Dragon Bones and Forgotten Beast leather. So don't expect to gear up your military in super-leather armor or anything.