Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding Question  (Read 306 times)

RavenZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding Question
« on: July 12, 2012, 04:42:58 am »

Hello there,

I have a question for those who deal with modding. How to reduce the amount of dorfs arriving in waves of migration? With all due respect but 58 dwarfs in a one single wave of immigration that is damn too much - not to mention that my farmers was slapping (break in work, partys... bla bla bla) - what caused lack of food... Everyone knows that dwarfs can hold for some time the lack of food but when the last barrel of booze was wasted in party between farmers - that was it... You can imagine what was next... TANTRUM! BERSERKERS!

But i must admit that soaking blood on teh marble smooth floors and marble walls must have look awesome... :P

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Modding Question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 09:04:59 am »

There is a modding forum here...

Anyway, in this case the only control you have over the population is with the pop cap, which has a delayed effect due to relying on the in-game liaison to function. Limiting trade and wealth production has some effect on the size of migration waves, but the only way to guarantee not getting swamped is to set the cap to 7 and use your starting dwarves plus the two hardcoded waves to set up your booze and food supplies (beds are surprisingly optional). You'll still get waves of the same size, but you'll have enough supplies to see you through until you can get those migrants contributing to the fortress.

And don't let dwarves party either. If your concern is keeping them from wandering the surface or caverns, meeting zones and civilian alerts will keep them idling in safe areas. Civilian alerts are more for separating surface and subterranean areas of the map, and are a good way to get migrants to move their asses into the fortress instead of standing around on the surface flashing stupidly.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.