Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DF2012 Going Deeper  (Read 2658 times)

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 Going Deeper
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 03:55:58 pm »

I have been playing Dwarf Fortress for about 3 days ........ I started a campaign in the icy tundra and now currently live in an ice cave

Dude you are playing the hardest, most complicated game ever made and you start off in an ice cave.  Props.

have you ever played rogue, nethack or other roguelikes? the scenery should be familiar from the vanilla game. You need to eat and sleep and such as in adventure mode, except that unless you manage to make a fire (wait, I need something that will burn first) and cook it, most things you can eat will give food poisoning, which is ofcourse lethal. Similarly you would need a source of fresh water too. Most water is stagnant, poisonous or inhabited by sprites, genies, demons or something else that will kill you.

After trying adventure mode here and getting killed by elephants, camels, wolves, bears, kobolds, goblins, bogeymen and whatever, I still think it's easier than a game where you don't care to fight something, first find something that you can actually eat! Funny thing was that sometimes you found canned food... damn where is my can opener?

I don't think nethack is harder or more complicated than DF, exactly, just different.  It's far less forgiving of mistakes, sure, you can sneeze IRL and kill yourself by bumping the keyboard and pressing one extraneous key.  But on the other hand you have complete and direct control, rather than essentially making vague gestures and hoping the game interprets them the way you want rather than screwing everything up.  Well, unless you're stunned or hallucinating, in which case you either apply your unihorn or wait and hope real hard you don't have to do anything until it wears off.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Zaqew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 07:55:18 pm »

you can't engrave constructed walls.

Now, if you cast obsidian walls, they are count as natural walls to smooth and engrave them.
And with the right amount of experience, accidently melt your fortress, too.

Cast?

Zaqew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 07:57:24 pm »

By the way a dwarven caravan bumped into one another and when I demoed a Trade Depot it left a Large Table Cut Carnellian and Wagon Wood. I cant seem to get rid of them or move them at all.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 05:21:21 am »

you can't engrave constructed walls.

Now, if you cast obsidian walls, they are count as natural walls to smooth and engrave them.
And with the right amount of experience, accidently melt your fortress, too.

Cast?

Cast in the sense of cast iron.  Liquid (often molten, but sometimes liquid for other reasons than temperature) is poured into a mold and allowed to harden in the shape you want.  In this case, magma won't harden on its own, so you need carefully, in a controlled manner, apply magma where you want the wall, then apply water to flash-harden it into obsidian.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 05:23:42 am by weenog »
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

Carbonated Dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 09:16:38 am »

I started a campaign in the icy tundra and now currently live in an ice cave. How do I stockpile the ice?
and now I understand why we newbs are given the 'escaped lunatic' epithet ☺

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 01:50:08 pm »

All mine.  All my ice.  It's all mine.  All for me.  *twitch*

Zaqew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 05:22:27 pm »

If I dig the entire region from Level to 160 will the entire thing cave in?

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 08:10:32 pm »

a "region" is different than an embark area. If something is not supported by anything it will collapse. Fun insues. My brother tried to do that once. I believe he made a 100 z level magma farm that did not work, so he collapsed it, and the game lagged and crashed "keep in mind his comp is 6 years old"
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Zaqew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 02:24:47 am »

So explosives can be made?
Pages: 1 [2]