Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [31.25] Building into the ocean?  (Read 680 times)

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
[31.25] Building into the ocean?
« on: July 11, 2012, 01:24:06 pm »

Hello there, ran into a bit of a problem just now, and given the (relative) time for the failure to occur I'd like to ask the forum what I did wrong.

I've started on a small island on a map largely populated by water. Now the coastline was aquifier-free so I was able to dig down and set up a nice fort, but now I want to expand my above-ground efforts, my project being a water-based fort. Before I committed to it fully I did a test run involving one of the bases for the tower. I found a spot of the ocean that was only 2 tiles deep, and correspondingly built a 4-block tower over it. This was my intention.

However the actual result turned out like so:

I can't quite figure out what went wrong, being as it's similar to one of the methods for breaching an aquifier layer, so I can't figure out what went screwdaddles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

L
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [31.25] Building into the ocean?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:30:04 pm »

constructed blocks return to their constituent parts when caved in. natural wall retains its shape.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 01:49:48 pm »

Bugger.

Is there any way of building into the ocean?
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 02:12:51 pm »

poor magma over the ocean.  Or, instead of using the ocean water, you can cast a tower of magma in midair above the ocean, then drop THAT, then dig it out.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 06:17:54 pm »

There's a slightly easier way to deal with it. Build pumps out in a ring pumping out, and power them, ensuring the inside ring is large enough to contain a second set of pumps. Once the first set has cleared out inside, set up a second set of pumps to draw out the second layer of water. Now you can lay down a foundation and rise up two levels and have your sea tower.