Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with stockpiles?  (Read 627 times)

Wirdal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problem with stockpiles?
« on: July 10, 2012, 01:24:24 am »

So, I have my general stockpile and my basic workshop stockpiles set up, but when I mine out a new room for something; the stone (jet and limestone, stuff such as that) leftover from mining the rooms out, stays there and doesn't get moved to the empty stockpile areas. My current solution is just marking all of it for dumping and putting the garbage dump near my stockpile, not in the same room but mine out a small crevice and keep I there. Anyone know how to deal with this? Or whats causing this?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with stockpiles?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 02:36:08 am »

Do your stockpiles allow more wheelbarrows than you have for them?  If a stockpile is set to use wheelbarrows, haul jobs to that stockpile can only use wheelbarrows, so if your wheelbarrow limit is 1 for that stockpile and you have 0 free wheelbarrows available for it, nothing is going to get done.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 01:20:24 pm »

Actually, I don't think that's true.  A stockpile with wheelbarrows assigned that actually has wheelbarrows in it will only process N "Store Item in Stockpile" jobs at a time, where N is the number of wheelbarrows.  But when I first designate a new stone stockpile, before the wheelbarrows are brought to it, my dwarves decide it would be a glorious idea to haul some stones to it, one per tile, by hand.

(My workaround for that is that any time I make a stone stockpile, I disable all stone types, wait for the wheelbarrows to be brought to it, then enable the stone type(s) I want in that stockpile.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Wirdal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 02:26:29 pm »

So, should I just add more of a limit to wheelbarrows and make them?

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 03:15:25 pm »

Well, if you have 3 stockpiles using wheelbarrows, and only 1 wheelbarrow to go around... then only one job from one of these stockpiles will be done because you only have the 1 wheelbarrow. You need to have as many wheelbarrows as you want to be used on your stockpiles. If you want all 3 stockpiles to use 3 wheelbarrows each, then you'll need 9 wheelbarrows to go around.
Feeling down? Click Here!

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 04:46:18 pm »

Or just set wheelbarrow to 0, causing hand hauliing till you make some more wb's
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Wirdal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 07:49:15 pm »

Hand Hauling seemed to have solved the problem