Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minecarts and Stone  (Read 764 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Minecarts and Stone
« on: July 09, 2012, 06:52:21 pm »

Having some trouble with Minecarts and I can't seem to locate specific answers, even searching the forum.  Hoping you guys will forgive me.  I've attempted to do the reseach but I can't seem to nail this down.

1) Can minecarts haul stone?  Not blocks or whatever, just simple stone?
Edit: Answered this one.  Apparently all my haulers went to a stockpile up above and grabbed wheelbarrows instead of using the one that was *right there*, so instead of loading the minecart they just dragged it all upstairs.  After it hits 100% apparently someone else needs to push it, too.

If so:
2) My understanding is a carved track is all you need.  After that, you simply need to relegate your stops via the hauling menu and a few stockpiles.

I tried a very complex guided path coming up from the depths for marble for my massive steel industry.  This isn't working.  So I decided to experiment with a simpler layout.

From the center stairway I mined a 2 wide path to the East, so the miners could get past the track.  Then I carved a 1x40 or so mining track from West to East.  I placed a pair of 1x1 stockpiles at each end, both set to all stone.  the eastern one #56 (pickup) is set for three wheelbarrows and take from anywhere.  The western one #57 (delivery) is set to take from links only.  Both allow all stone.

Now I setup a route, via the hauling menu.  First stop is 'pickup'.  Set to take from stockpile #56 and push west when full of desired items.  Second stop is 'Dropoff'.  Set to Give to Stockpile #57 and Push East immediately when empty of any items.

I then assigned the route a minecart I'd built.

What the heck am I missing?  I'd assumed this would be enough to get things 'started'.

Sorry about that.  Now I need to figure out why the more 'complex' version isn't behaving.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Minecarts and Stone
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 07:33:13 pm »

~post~

This is why the strikethrough was made. ALL HAIL STRIKETHROUGH!

Also, congratulations on finding your answer. :D
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecarts and Stone
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 05:53:13 am »

Alright, first of all, a 1x1 stock pile will hold one stone. Mine cart will hold 5. So you'll want your pickup stockpile to be that large.

Second, the second stockpile should be take only from links, but have none. This prevents the dorfs from just wheelbarrow/walking it there. Only the mine cart will work.

Third, at the drop off end, b>C>S to construct a track stop and order it to dump into the 1x1 stockpile. This means no unloading and so no wasted dorf power.

As for the complex one, I'd have to see it, however my suggestion is this: Multiple routes running in sequence. So initial tracks running from stockpiles deep in the mining sites drop off at a stockpile near a central lifting rail head. So four tracks all feed into a 1x4 stockpile using dump stops, and in turn a fifth (and probably sixth and seventh) track takes from the stockpile and heads up/down to the forge area.