Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flooding second layer down  (Read 959 times)

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flooding second layer down
« on: July 05, 2012, 11:54:56 pm »

Hey all, been a long time since i posted, been playing on and off.

downloaded the new version, found a place with shallow and deep metals, flux stone, an aquifer , perfect i thought, until i tried going farther than 1 z level down, which caused the flooding on the second stair well.  i tried in several places, they all have the same result.

what do i do? do i need to select a place without an aquifer?

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flooding second layer down
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 12:20:58 am »

does noone know? i'm waiting for an answer, this fortress is annoying the shit outta me, i'd like some help sooner rather than later

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 12:32:14 am »

The aquifer is your problem.
The wiki gives a couple ways to pierce it.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 12:36:53 am »

Half an hour isn't really that long to wait, even on these forums. Patience will serve you well.

You're probably running into an aquifer. They usually start 3-4 z-levels below the surface, but not always, so you probably just have an unusually shallow one. You could embark someplace else that doesn't have an aquifer, but in the long run you're probably better off learning how to get through one, because aquifers are actually extremely useful once you're beneath them; free infinite clean water above your fort makes it easy to get drinking water, power, and even waterfalls, and an aquifer provides that.

Look at the wiki's page on aquifers for a basic description of several methods of getting through them. QuantumMenace's clever double-slit method of aquifer piercing is probably the least resource-intensive.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 12:52:11 am »

thank you, sorry for the impatience, it was late and i was getting baffled

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 06:20:03 pm »

I've noticed they tend to sit at the same height as the lowest z-level your local river is at.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 06:29:41 pm »

thank you, sorry for the impatience, it was late and i was getting baffled

you might have searched "aquifer" on the wiki so you'd know what it was, since you obviously didn't

the wiki is your friend, the wiki is your savior, the wiki provides the answer.

;D

more seriously, the wiki here is, well, large would be an understatement. Helpfull would just begin to describe it. Life saving might, vital comes close.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 06:52:58 pm »

You must admit, however, that we almost need a wiki for help on where to check in the wiki for help in DF. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"