Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems with large gems  (Read 1027 times)

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problems with large gems
« on: July 09, 2012, 06:30:09 am »

Hi everyone!

I want to create a treasury room that would be full of jewellery and other crafts made of gold and silver, adorned with gems or studded with other materials. so far it's coming along nicely, but large gems (decorated with smaller gems) I just can't get out of the jeweller workshop and into the stockpile. I have the finished goods stockpile in the treasury that accepts large gems and is set to accept only from the jewellers workshop, but while everything else is promptly moved there the large gems are not.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with large gems
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 08:26:07 am »

Large gems have been an issue with stockpiling for a while now, they don't seem to go into any stockpile at all. Which is very likely a bug.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 09:22:21 am »

Have you tried dumping the lage gems in your strong room?

Nick

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 05:41:22 pm »

Large gems have been an issue with stockpiling for a while now, they don't seem to go into any stockpile at all. Which is very likely a bug.

Really? They seem to get stockpiled in my game, as finished goods, type large gems. Don't have any in my fort right now to test it though.

As a failsafe, yea, you can dump anything (except artifacts) to get it where you want. Disable/remove all existing garbage dumps, make a temporary one where you want the item to go, dump, remove temporary dump.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 05:46:59 pm »

The problem seems to be that the large gem item type is can be accepted by finished goods piles, but the various gem materials aren't. As such, you couldn't stockpile any finished good item made out of, for instance, ruby or diamond, and most large gems are gems, so they don't get stocked. Glass large gems aren't made of gems, so they do. If you randomly get a gemstone craft (which you have a chance to whenever you cut a rough gem), it, too, wouldn't be stockpiled for the same reason.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 06:10:55 pm »

The problem seems to be that the large gem item type is can be accepted by finished goods piles, but the various gem materials aren't. As such, you couldn't stockpile any finished good item made out of, for instance, ruby or diamond, and most large gems are gems, so they don't get stocked. Glass large gems aren't made of gems, so they do. If you randomly get a gemstone craft (which you have a chance to whenever you cut a rough gem), it, too, wouldn't be stockpiled for the same reason.

I would try forbidding the whole "type" category, enabling only large gems, but keeping all materials on. Now that you mention the material thing, I think it is a reported bug, yes. There's also a few other things that don't can't be set for in the stockpile options, like plaster bags (stone, apparently, but they don't have an option anywhere), and minecarts/wheelbarrows were like that when they first appeared.