Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to train Soldiers  (Read 1072 times)

catote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to train Soldiers
« on: July 07, 2012, 06:10:22 am »

Im doing military for the very first time. Have read the (very technical) wiki on the subject.
I have managed to create a squad with 4 members, a barrack for them, have put them on "Active/Training: MyTraining" for all months.
They are now also armed with axes, hammers etc.

But they stand entire still and worse still, they dont improve in any military skills.
DwarfTherapist confirms NO improvement at all, not in skills, not even in training percentages.

They have been there for 4 months and now complain about long duties, so I know they are doing military stuff, and I also know they I can give them rest and alternate civil / military.
What's the trick to get training started?

To be more specific: I go to Schedule. Find my Squad and current month, put them on (*) Active/Training, do (o) give order, cycle to "Training", do (-) so I have 2 soldiers minimum, right arrow, and [Enter] on every dwarf in the squad (they become green) then [Shift][Enter to finish].
This training order I now (c) Copy and put on every month, thinking it's all set, and let 15 mins game time pass.
Now when I come back, they Squad is on Active/Training. BUT when I (s)(e) and look in the actual training Schedule, it's now all empty, and my dwarves names have gone away.

EDIT

Thanks for input. I think the ERROR was an order to be moved. Which resulted in them standing still. I found an option on the Military screen to cancel such an order.
And now they *slow* gain skills in combat.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 07:54:23 am by catote »

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to train Soldiers
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 06:25:01 am »

You want to go to the (s) squad menu, then select your army one by one: (a), (b), (c) etc.. and press (t) to get them from inactive to active (training).

EDIT: an other way may exists that I did not discover :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 06:30:20 am by Argelle »
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 06:49:56 am »

since the minimum required hindering training has been thoroughly debunked, just stick to the standard. Then indeed you actually have to set them to active in the squads or military - alerts screen. Check with (v) what they are doing, my guess now is individual training.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 07:30:12 am »

If you set them to multiple training orders, you'll get more than one dorf training at once. I've got dorfs doing demos with one another. Of course it's all wrestling but...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 07:38:45 am »

If you set them to multiple training orders, you'll get more than one dorf training at once. I've got dorfs doing demos with one another. Of course it's all wrestling but...

I had one training order, minimum 10, and 2 were sparring, 3 were involved in a striking demonstration, 2 were doing a dodging demonstration, 1 was watching the sparring, 1 was asleep and 1 was drinking. And they were actually already active in the demonstration, not waiting for it. It's a myth.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 10:36:16 am »

I do it with multiple orders because if one of them is doing a civilian job, like operating a pump, the others tend to stand around and wait for the last guy.

Besides I can also have mixed orders running as well.

jimy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 04:37:57 pm »

Have you assigned a barrack for them to train?
I'm not sure if they need one but I always did and it worked perfect. :D

Until I atomsmashed my whole squad by accident.
No more testing of my emergency plans...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 05:04:57 pm »

I do it with multiple orders because if one of them is doing a civilian job, like operating a pump, the others tend to stand around and wait for the last guy.

Besides I can also have mixed orders running as well.

hah, yes, that is why I said it was BS. If he's doing a job like pump operating, he's not active in the military so there is no way they can be waiting for him

the mixed orders, like some defending burrows or patrolling is a good reason though

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 06:33:27 pm »

You don't really need to mess around with swapping military dwarves in and out of active duty if you're starting out. Just give them a barracks, set the squad to train there, and in the military screen (m, a)  switch the squad from Inactive to Active/Training (these two are the defaults). The Active/Training schedule is 10 dwarves training at all times, which should skill them up pretty quickly once everything else is in place. Two general rules:

1. Minimise time spent walking from place to place. Give them waterskins, give them nice bedrooms near the barracks, put a prepared food stockpile nearby as well.
2. Dwarves give demonstrations when skill levels are unequal and spar when skill levels are equal or near-equal. There's not much you can do to affect this beyond making sure everyone in the squad has the same weapon. You could start your dwarves out with equal military skill, but starting attributes are more important in the long run as they determine an individual dwarf's maximum stats.

For patrolling routes without using orders, you can either station dwarves as necessary (traders have a predictable schedule, turning up in about the third week of the last month of the season) or create chokepoints in which you place a barracks and activate it for training. The dwarves will essentially be stationed there, but will also freely eat and drink and train.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 09:32:55 am »

Yes and no. But if they have to have at least 5, and one of them isn't in the military, they can't be doing anything but waiting for the last one to rejoin the military.