Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This is new, right?  (Read 2787 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This is new, right?
« on: June 06, 2012, 04:10:54 am »

Rumors from faraway lands? I got a quest, and for some reason it was already registered as done, so I said this to someone one town over. And this is what he saids.

What.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: This is new, right?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 04:12:41 am »

Yeah I've had this bug.  What version are you on?  I would get quests to kill some guy I've already killed, or was it previous characters of mine who died?  Nonetheless, the end result happened, consistently. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 04:13:13 am »

34.10, DFhack. Phobeus.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 04:16:54 am »

Huh.  I had this ( or maybe something VERY similar to this ) happen to me around DF.34.7. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 06:18:31 am »

You normally get this response if you complete a quest and then tell it to a civ over, I think (may be misinformation). However, I'm not sure how quests being randomly completed works. It has happened to me before as well. Sometimes it will be marked as complete immediately after I get the quest, or a few minutes after. In my experience, I was still able to turn in the quests.

Perhaps it's if the quest target dies of some cause such as old age? I'm not sure if that's even tracked on anything not loaded, though.
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 07:10:27 am »

They were probably of another civ, or something. Happened to me when I tried to tell my tales of adventure to an elf town while the quests were from humans.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 08:48:27 am »

elf town? i thought only humans settlements existed so far

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 10:28:19 am »

elf town? i thought only humans settlements existed so far
You can modify dwarves and elves to build towns.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

WisdomThumbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Drawing Meaning
    • View Profile
    • Wisdom-Thumbs on DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 11:14:10 pm »

Funny, I've had this happen to me too. I don't think it really affected anything, because afterwards people started calling me a legend and proclaiming their disbelief that I could be in their presence.
"She'd lost her hand, her youth, and her husband. Her entire body was a maze of scars, and without her crutch she could only drag herself over the rocks. But Dema Beandeaths wasn't done just yet. She still had a long way to go, and that six-limbed armadillo devil godking wasn't about to kill itself."
- -- -
I draw things

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 03:12:23 am »

This has been in the game as long as I can remember, and it basically means you're boasting to a civilisation that didn't give you the quest in the first place.
[Signature]

Circusdawg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf is tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 07:16:32 pm »

Same only i cut at his head then he stabbed my brain

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 08:18:02 pm »

Did you have an adventurer before this one who killed the target, and who belonged to another civ?

This could potentially be a problem that the quest giving RNG assigns you a quest to kill someone that that civ giving the quest does not know is already dead. Through the task screen your adventurer will be magically aware of the targets death (which I believe might be a bug) and will get the "Report death of..." mission. Upon attempting to report the success of your mission, the game will realize an adventurer of another civ did it (someone who isn't you) and give you this message about tales of faraway lands.

That's my theory.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 08:19:53 pm »

I've had this happen. I killed a necromancer and walked to the nearest town and someone told me they didn't care about my rumors from "faraway lands."