Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game ideas  (Read 963 times)

hinzerhaus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Game ideas
« on: July 12, 2012, 05:10:16 pm »

Im Starting work on a zombie survival game, with a focus on Establishing and improving a "Home","fortress", "Survivor camp" ect.
its in very early development and i wanted to see what other people want in this style of game. so if you would post some ideas that you would like to see in a game like this, or describe the zombie game that you would like to play, it would be a big help.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Game ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 06:57:49 pm »

1) Realistic, general system for building materials scavenging system, with realistic hard-to-modify component proportions, robustness effects from various ways of attaching them, and a very punishing destructibility with collapse effects. Thing of the corrugated metal dwellings you see in slums.

2) realistically complex plumbing, cabling, ventilation, etc. needed. You need to store or have regular access to food and drink, get rid of waste products to avoid disease, and may suffocate if in a closed space with a fire. You need a noisy, dirty generator to get electricity for lights and a refrigerator, which needs fuel from dunks. You have to somhow wire things together, and that wiring can be dangerus if not insulated properly, may get pulled apart by combat collateral or just tripping over it.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 09:41:28 pm »

Absolutely yes to everything Armok said.

Out of curiosity, what style of game is this going to be? Roguelike, 2d with sprites, 3d...? Also, what language is it in?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 12:11:02 am »

basic automation possible, like programming a waste disposal service

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 12:55:36 am »

What Armok said.

And I think defense should be emphasized, instead of just running and gunning. I'd also like to see a return to the old fashioned, shambling, "Night of the Living Dead" zombies, none of the other bells and whistles. But that's just me, put in mutated gut flinging necromancer zombies if you want...
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

hinzerhaus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 05:22:15 pm »

I'm coding it in java, with a good healthy SQL database thrown in for fun. I have always wanted to make the zombie game I wanted to play, Any and all input as to what your guys "Dream zombie game" would be. I want a game where its not about gunning down zombies, its about rebuilding civilization in the aftermath of the quintessential Zombie apocalypse. From the start of "Z-day" to the reestablishment of society. lofty goals, but I am going to try. Ideas i have include things like realistic agriculture, interactions with other survivor groups, scavenging for food. another thing me and the group were talking about was independent construction. when it comes to home-base I don't feel you should need to place every single object in the base, that the survivors you have will build their own homes/sleeping area and place comfort items according to their own wants and needs. Armok has many good ideas keep them coming, and i can keep you all updated if you want

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 06:21:32 pm »

General guidelines: realistic, complex, punishing, gritty, detailed.

Also, given the focus why have it specifically be the ZOMBIE apocalypse, rather than having different choice for type of apocalypse, like nuclear or pandemic?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

hinzerhaus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 06:31:33 pm »

Zombie apocalypse is going to be the premise for the start of it. you are correct Armok as iv always told people if your ready for zombies you are ready for anything, and the game would be apt for nuclear and pandemic end of times scenario but i have a base for the kind and zombies are near and dear to my gamer heart