Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What is the Best Embark Profile?  (Read 13111 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What is the Best Embark Profile?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 03:54:43 pm »

Not right now, no, but do recall that Toady does intend to implement supply and demand at some point.  Once that happens, it follows that eventually the world will only need so much of your roasts and rock crafts before the market is flooded.
Assuming that supply and demand for gem-encrusted items is determined by base item and not combination of gem and base item, you're going to saturate the market just as quickly as with anything else. Odds are that you have more than one industry that produces decent trade goods and produces them in such a quantity that you can skim some off for the trade depot.

I wonder if clothing, weapons, and armour will be folded into one category for the purposes of supply and demand? With the number of items in each of those categories you could keep making new things for trade for a long time.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 10:22:54 pm »

I'm very interested as well; I'm sure we're a ways off from it being implemented (and even further off from it working in a way that can't be broken or exploited easily), but I will be curious to see how the game will track supply levels of various goods, their rate of consumption/decay/destruction, and their importance and inherent value (precious metals and stones, in a normal mineral scarcity world, seem like things that would resist a flooded market better).

Of course, in the real world commodities trading is a big deal; entire economies hinge upon agriculture and textiles.  It'll be interesting to find that we might end up EXPORTING cloth and cheese by the bin and barrel rather than dealing with trade partners trying to offload it onto our forts.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 11:52:39 pm »

I sometimes export cloth anyway. Once you're growing enough plants to supply the fortress once over it's very easy to grow enough to supply the fortress several times over, selling off the low-quality cloth and keeping the nice stuff for yourself. Plant cloth by itself is more valuable than stone crafts (assuming 1-value stone), and with the new stockpile settings it's much easier to divert the low-quality cloth into a crafting supplies stockpile. Plus, it's an easily-renewable resource.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]