Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Open source Dwarf Fortress  (Read 16731 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Open source Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2012, 03:58:38 am »

About half of the people in this thread need to step away from the computer and think about what they and others have typed here, and think in depth about the topic. On the other hand, Microcline gets bonus points.
I am also displeased by this thread.

Marc Remillard asked a similar question a few months ago, in a more appropriate board. The situation allowed for a better answer, though.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108740.0

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2012, 08:43:02 am »

OMG SOMEONE DOESN'T WORSHIP TOADY AS THE SOLE HUMAN CAPABLE OF EEVER CREATING ANYTHING EVER AND THINKS DF ISN'T GODS GIFT TO MAN AND PERFECT AND UNABLE TO EVER BE REIMPLEMENTED OMG OMG OMG.

Don't worry Marc, not everyone here is are fanboi sheep. Just ignore the people that have nothing better to do than hate on anyone that dares mention DF without first washing hands.

I don't believe you have read this thread. People aren't saying that Toady is a god, and people aren't even saying that it wouldn't be possible to do it, for the most part. People are saying that this Marc person is quite underestimating the task of recreating DF, especially since the game is already free, particularly with his attitude that DF is not complex in the least, and that it would be quite easy to recreate. I don't even play DF much, but I recognize that you aren't going to be able to clone it, even given 3 years with a few dedicated developers (something a random open-source clone will likely not even have).

Not to mention that it is kinda rude to say that you are going to clone a game on that games official forum.
Nah I know. I just find it amusing how hostile and asshat-like the responses are, though. I couldn't resist pointing out that irony.

And don't worry, I washed my hands before posting and said the daily DF prayer, so it's all good.

So after you get called on your bullshit you resort to the old "I'm so above this; I was just messing with you for my own amusement, haha!" line? Pretty much every asshat in this thread has been one of the people who jumped in to attack posters pointing out (rightfully) that it would be a much greater task than the OP was suggesting (or that the OP was being sort of dickish). I don't see any fanboys here (you might need to look in the upper boards for that, if you're going to bother trolling for responses), just the reasonable people and the people like you.

Incidentally, that word doesn't mean what you think it means.
Wait, did you really just post to say I am wrong and that none of the people here would take my bait but then take my bait yourself?
Mission success! Now the real test begins; do you admit you just validated me but come back and try to claim otherwise all while further validating this post or do you sneak away quietly and not respond and thus stop validating my post?
Which will it be?

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2012, 09:51:42 am »

Well if it helps, you have made me feel like a better person.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

malloc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2012, 10:31:25 am »

Do you even need to ask?
Of course there would be interest in a open source DF.

The only problem is such a thing is more or less impossible, because of the amount of work required. The problem with most open source projects is that you have to take the first step yourself. Given the sheer size of this project, you are going to have to do a lot of coding before you can spark (real)interest and engagement of other programmers/contributors. In most cases you are going to be the one who will be pushing the project forward. This is how it goes with these kinds of projects.

If you are still interested in starting this project. Start by making a parser for game data files. This will be a huuuuge undertaking considering what a huge mess of different tags there exists by now. Keep in mind DF has been in development for many years, I would not be surprised if even Toady would not have a clear overview.
Secondly, you would have to reverse engineer probably a huge mess of magic numbers and equations that eventually creep in during the development of such a massive procedural beast that is the dwarf fortress game.
Then there is the game itself.. Well, that is a whole other dimension of magnitude that will require an even enormous effort.

Alternatively you can make a DF clone.
It's been attempted many times with varying degrees of success. Good luck.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2012, 10:53:40 am »

Wait, did you really just post to say I am wrong and that none of the people here would take my bait but then take my bait yourself?
Mission success! Now the real test begins; do you admit you just validated me but come back and try to claim otherwise all while further validating this post or do you sneak away quietly and not respond and thus stop validating my post?
Which will it be?
Look, if anyone on either side is trying to 'win' the 'argument' by showing that the 'other side' is horrible for some reason, something in your open source project has gone horribly wrong.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]