Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Start on same site?  (Read 362 times)

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Start on same site?
« on: July 07, 2012, 11:52:53 am »

I don't mean a reclaim.

Is there a way to start one's game over from scratch on the same site?  I heard that there was a way to do this involving the raws.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Start on same site?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 11:58:16 am »

Autosave files can serve as a reset button for if you truly fuck up the site, but don't mind starting over with the same embark group.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 11:59:39 am »

I don't have the game set up to make automatic saves.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 12:33:17 pm »

I'm pretty sure it would mean messing seriously with the save file raws and not just the raws. I've never heard of it. I usually just keep a back-up of any world I make.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 01:30:26 pm »

You can regenerate the exact same world if you have the proper seeds for the psuedorandom number generator that the game uses to generate worlds, the same world gen parameters as the first time you generated the world, and the same raws as the first time you generated the world. To get these things, you export the local image, which among other things produces a copy of the complete world gen parameters, seeds and all, for that world. To export a local image for a fort, load up the fort, open up the main menu (ESC by default), scroll down to "Export Local Image," and enter that, then deselect all but 1 of the options (not strictly necessary, but beneficial), and use the "Export Image" option (e by default). Now, in your dwarf fortress folder, there will be 4+ new files, 3 .txt files and 1+ images; the one you're interested in is the text file labeled yourfortname-param-yourregionname-###-#####. Open this file up, copy the whole text of it, and paste the text into the bottom of data/init/world_gen.txt. Save that file, reboot DF, generate a new world with advanced parameters, and select the last parameter set, and the world generated will be exactly the same as the previous one.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!