Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River, Surface volcano and a Glass Fortress  (Read 1579 times)

zeziba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
River, Surface volcano and a Glass Fortress
« on: July 08, 2012, 04:58:53 pm »

Magma check
Sand Check
Water Check

Only thing I wish this zone had was a Evil Bio.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Every Dwarf will have a Glass room so they can fulfill their ultimate dream of living inside a beer bottle!

EDIT:Forgot to mention that a Necromancer and war with the elves is part of my map also.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 05:02:50 pm by zeziba »

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: River, Surface volcano and a Glass Fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 05:03:46 pm »

I've got the site scouted out for my next fort. Also sand, volcano, and a river (brook I think, but still). IIRC no shallow metal though, only deep metals (extra challenge!). The really fun part is that it does have some haunted mountains (completely flat area though), comprising a 1x2 area in the NW corner of the embark.

I was thinking of casting the aboveground part of my fort from obsidian. :P Maybe eventually cast a huge block of obsidian underground, to house my entire fort!

zeziba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 05:26:52 pm »

Yea, I like what you have. I do like having large hills and such but I really want that with a surface volcano, water and sand. Evil bios make it more FUN and what not! :P

Here is a prospect from my current map, another reason I picked it.

149k Tetrahedrite and 32k Marble on the map.
137k Native gold
6.6k Candy you can't beat that too often.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 07:31:02 pm »

I never prospect, so can't compare. Do you have metals everywhere though, or what? (my world is sparse metals).

Sadly the embark is pretty flat, I prefer digging into hillsides to just making stairs down from the surface.

zeziba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 11:37:13 pm »

I find having metals set to about 700-800 a good number because if its too low I seem to never get any flux in my worlds and if I set it too high same problem but with n o metals also.

I like mostly flat embarks, i prefer having a hill or mountain near though so I can build a fortress jutting out of it. My current Fort is on one side all living and workshops are above ground, then I ahve a tunnel going 5 z lvls down across the river to the side that isn't considered mountains. This side has the soil for crops so I tunneled right under it and build my farm there.

Overall it looks cool and heck and once I figure out where the rock crystal is on my map I am gonna get rid of all the green glass and go for rock glass.