Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ramps  (Read 845 times)

PsychicKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ramps
« on: July 06, 2012, 09:41:18 pm »

So, I've been intending to use ramps instead of stairs to descend from my entryway into my fortress proper so that way I can have wagons dump their shit in my actual fort instead of outside or surrounded by walls or in a big dug out dirt room or whatever. Problem is, my dorfs are stuck. Assume * is solid ground as I draw this top-down diagra

(Surface)
VVV

(-1Z)
^^^
VVV

(-2Z)
VVV
^^^

(-3Z)
^^^

My miners are refusing to budge from -3Z and I can't get haulers to go down there, can't path to it, anything. I guess I don't know how ramps work. :V

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ramps
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 09:56:36 pm »

Side view of working ramps:

#\
        #####\
        ########\

The ramp must have a solid wall on the side you plan to stand on after climbing the ramp or you can't get back up (and may not be able to climb down, depending on the exact orientation).

I use a spiral pattern due to this.

#######        # solid wall
        #++v  #        + floor
        #++v  #        v ramp down
        #^^O###        ^ ramp up
        #######        O central pillar shared at all levels
        #######
        #######

Just take this pattern and rotate it 90 degrees each z-level down. I actually make 3 wide spirals, but that would take too much work on the forums. :)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 10:05:05 pm »

This has been written about extensively.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Ramp

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 10:17:55 pm »

So, I've been intending to use ramps instead of stairs to descend from my entryway into my fortress proper so that way I can have wagons dump their shit in my actual fort instead of outside or surrounded by walls or in a big dug out dirt room or whatever. Problem is, my dorfs are stuck. Assume * is solid ground as I draw this top-down diagra

My miners are refusing to budge from -3Z and I can't get haulers to go down there, can't path to it, anything. I guess I don't know how ramps work. :V

In comparison, the OP did this (as shown in a side view):

Code: [Select]
_______ ___ surface
### ___/### -1z
###\___ ### -2z
###____/### -3z

Only the ramp between the surface and (-1z) will work.