Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Begin: Starship Combat  (Read 1127 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Begin: Starship Combat
« on: July 09, 2012, 03:50:23 pm »

Begin: Starship Combat is an ancient game from back in the days when 12MHz was considered a powerful processor. I've only just now stumbled upon it, and it looks pretty awesome, and right up some of your streets. Only thing is, I can't seem to find any documentation on it at all, much less a manual or tutorial.

This is an awesome looking game that I think a lot of you might like, but does anyone know where I could get a manual for it? Thanks :)
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Begin: Starship Combat
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 03:52:35 pm »

Don't know about the manual, but I played a bunch of Begin2 or some of those rehashes a while back. It's pretty awesome. The only thing is I'm not overly fond of Star Trek, and if I recall it correctly that's what it's based off of.

Still, it's a really nice game!

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 04:35:48 pm »

There is no manual for that version that I know of, but there is a command reference here for 2.01 that is pretty much the same. 

Someone modified Begin 2 with online multiplayer - not that anyone is on -, it is here.  That also includes DOS binaries for several older versions, I would recommend that instead of 3.

There is an example game here, along with some other information, but there seems to be very little on it anywhere.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 05:52:44 pm »

I gave a try to the " Begin 3.0.1 " from the website linked as it's the latest window port version.

And i have been really amazed by how interesting the tacical gameplay is.
A pity there's no manual (despite the website mention one) as it's very easy to get lost in the many commands without knowing what they exactly do.

My first contact with Begin had me setup my command of a Federation destroyer helped by 8 AI destroyers in my fleet opposed to 9 "Orion pirates" raiders.
Having no real idea what i was doing for several turns i finally managed to fire torpedos and phasers at enemy ships.
Though a bit late as my shields have been badly hammered, my drive engine was down (i couldn't even move anymore) and while i ordered repair of the engine, 2 raiders decided to get back to me and annihilate my ship, time on which i learned that the command "eject" does nothing as the answer was "command not implemented"

Oh well.

But the potential is there, i really liked the tactical concept.
Thanks for the example battle that at least may help to clear some questions i had with that lack of manual.