Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Orcs Must Die! IE: Holy shit this game is fun  (Read 4167 times)

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
Re: Orcs Must Die! IE: Holy shit this game is fun
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 03:38:19 am »

the graphics
You DARE speak of graphics?
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 08:27:00 am »

Got this ages ago...
Stream Friend me and see how you went up against some of my times, I ain't saying that I was pro or anything but I was in the top 300 in a few. Not that great but still nice to know...

Steam name :: nanothnir
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 08:52:38 am »

I was pleasantly surprised at how fun this game is.

I'm still having trouble with the finale though, it's really hard to adapt a new strategy when the one you've used works every time. What's everyone else's general strategy? Doubt I'm the only one that stuck to a certain battle plan.

I've (almost) gotten 5 stars on it using mace traps combined with tar, with some grinders thrown on the sides. Have some mushrooms and extra cash handy for the ogres, and you should do alright. For the ogres that come when you have no money, keep an ice ring and fire ring handy. Freeze them on your mace traps, burn the ice ogres. Don't bother putting traps lower than the level with the rift on it, unless it's some brimstone for kobolds. Focus on the self-buff tree so you can catch orcs that get through pretty easily.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 09:50:25 am »

Not quite as far along as you guys, but I just had a blast at the Chokepoint level. I set up a maze using barricades and filled it with spike traps, flame traps, and spring traps. Once I upgraded the traps all the way I was able to pretty much sit back and watch the monsters utterly fail at getting through. I still shot/fireballed a lot of them, but it was hilarious to watch the ogres get flung multiple times but different springs as they failed to get through my maze time after time.

Took me a while to figure that strategy out for that level. I kept trying to use more damage traps, archers, and fighting them personally. I'd get overrun and a bunch would get through. That strategy got me 5 stars the first time I tried it. Good feeling!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 10:31:10 am »

Not quite as far along as you guys, but I just had a blast at the Chokepoint level.

That was a fun level.  I liked the one after it too.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 11:54:27 am »

I booted this up to take a few more whacks at the Finale... Only to realize my 4-skull attempt holds 476th place score-wise! How odd. I was wondering for awhile what contributes/detracts from your score, does anyone happen to know?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 11:56:57 am »

It seems to be mostly combo based, IE: how many different traps contribute to killing an orc in a short period of time.  So if you steam trap them into the air, then they are hit by a wall spike trap and an archer arrow at the same time, you start racking up the score.  So you can do pretty lousy in a mission and get a fantastic score, or you can do perfect on a mission and get a terrible score.  :)

Also, I finally managed to get 5 stars on all the warmage levels last night!  Woot.  That last level was such a pain. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 12:46:46 pm »

Not quite as far along as you guys, but I just had a blast at the Chokepoint level.

That was a fun level.  I liked the one after it too.  :)

Yeah, got around to playing that level yesterday. Took me a while to figure out how to set up a good death maze for the orcs, but it was a lot of fun once I got it down.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 06:02:17 pm »

It's almost curious that a game that tickles the inner sadist which exists in many of us DF players doesn't get more attention. ;) I picked this up during the recent sale when it was 75% off -- I had been keeping an eye on it, but wasn't sure it would be worth the full price. What can I say, I had a blast with it on Warmage difficulty. Now I'm trying Nightmare, which can be ... nasty. Ugh.

But, yeah, overall it's a complete hoot to slaughter all these baddies in over-the-top cartoon violence gibfests.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 07:57:49 pm »

Orcs must die! 2 coming out in just a few weeks :o

http://www.robotentertainment.com/games/omd2

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 08:07:02 pm »