Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help. My waterfall won't work  (Read 719 times)

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help. My waterfall won't work
« on: July 05, 2012, 10:07:45 am »

I accidently pulled the lever on my waterfall machine and after the generator shut down, I can't seem to get it started again. Here's how I designed it.

1st floor
F= Floor.
> is hole, all pumps are orientated east.
x8 just referred to the length of my L arm.
g is gear assembly.
ss= Screw pump
w is waterwheel.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
                                 FF
                                 FF
                                 FF
                                 FF
                                 x8
                                 FFFF
                                 FFFF
                                 FFFF
                                 FFFF

2nd Floor
                                  FF
                                  FF
                                  FF
                                  FF
                                  wF
                                  wg
                                  wx
                                  wx
                                  wg
                                  wx
                                  wgxg
                                    >ss>
                                       g
                                    >ss>
Third Floor
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
                                               FF
                                               FF
                                               x8
                                           >  >ss >
                                           >     g
                                                >ss>

Essentially, I fed a cistern that's two layers deep from an above ground river,dropping it 18 levels or so. I then connected a series of waterwheels and pumps on the 1st floor above the cistern. A second layer of pump drove it one layer above the dining room, and I allowed natural (teleportation) and flow to flow north towards my dining room, where it naturally fell into the grates by flow. I actually had two series of waterwheels, situated along the inverted L arm, one on the upper and lower arm. Initial power to prime the pumps first came from the top series, and after the cistern/flow has been set up, power from the bottom.

Yeah, yeah, I know, its a lousy, ineffiecent design, but I wanted to link up the above series initially to railways/millstones, as well as irrigrate a stone farm but I failed to get power after the fall started. Well, after much work, it worked..... But now that I accidently disconnected the bottom waterwheel, I can't seem to get it started again. HELP! I poured in way too much work damn it....

« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 10:21:02 am by PainRack »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Help. My waterfall won't work
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 05:15:38 pm »

Did you build in a shut-off method into your waterfall? In general I find that whenever you work with infinite sources such as rivers it's a good idea to include a shut-off switch. If you did is there any way you can drain the system to allow your dwarves to get in and work on it? Alternatively if the thing can be reconnected but just can't get started you could connect an external power source to jump start it.

Sorry if my answers seem a little vague, but it's incredibly difficult to read your diagrams. Consider using some ['code]['/code] (minus the ' of course) to help make your diagrams more readable since it ensures that all letters/characters use the same amount of horizontal space.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 08:41:28 pm »

Did you remember to channel the floor between the second and third floor gears between the pumps?

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 09:35:24 am »

Yes to both questions.

As I explained, the reason why my waterfall shut down was because I accidently pulled the lever to switch it off, shutting down the flow.

Sorry about the diagram, I'm not that savy with using the stuff to draw.

Essentially, my waterfall is a very ineffiecent model that's an inverted L arm. At the bottom of the inverted L, is my pump stack responsible for drawing water up, and I'm relying on waterwheels to power my pumps on the second and third level.

The mist itself is generated by water "teleporting" on the third level until it reaches a grate and drop into the cistern on the 1st level.

Well..... I managed to drop in more water from the river above and via some pumping, restarted the process. Its intermittant though, probably a result of the game calculating that there's no flow as the water tiles fill up to 7.... I'm not sure which of my waterwheel is now powering the pumps and I figured the more I attempt to modify it, the more complex it gets.....

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 10:42:39 am »

What you need is an external starter reactor. Build a mini-reactor providing stable starter power to one piece of the puzzle. That should provide a continuous amount of juice to get it going, since it's not connected to problematic flow of the main system.

If you shut it down again, this time add a floodgate at each corner of the L. Why? Because when closed the Floodgate annihilates the water, reducing the total amount extant in the system. This should solve the too much water problem, then fire the starter reactor again (reconnect it) and the system should fire and continue to do so.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 11:26:04 am »

Ah.....Thanks:D