Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Permanently closing off floor/cavern access to ward off enemies...  (Read 751 times)

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Miners dug stairs into a cavern, 1-Zlevel above the floor, but also into the open air which is enough for FB's and all sorts of monstrosities to appear, apparently. Access to the caverns are blocked off by a raised bridge right now. But how do I reclaim the upper floors on the caverns and seal off that stairway leading down into that section of cavern?

Right all the FBs are fighting the, something like, 50 amphibian men, but eventually I'm going to have to go in and try to clear out the remnants to seal off the cavern.

I do have access to a volcano which goes down just below the bottom of those stairs (and exists on all Z-levels upward from there). Don't think just dumping magma is going to help. Just be lava flowing down infinitely and killing my framerate. There is an underground ocean in a cavern a couple z-levels above where the stairs start... I might mix the two? But again, need it to not last forever and I don't have free access to the area right now without confronting numerous baddies. I could mine in from above, would take forever and I might lose a miner or two to starvation first.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: Permanently closing off floor/cavern access to ward off enemies...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 08:45:18 pm »

Miners dug stairs into a cavern, 1-Zlevel above the floor, but also into the open air which is enough for FB's and all sorts of monstrosities to appear, apparently. Access to the caverns are blocked off by a raised bridge right now. But how do I reclaim the upper floors on the caverns and seal off that stairway leading down into that section of cavern?
Easiest thing to do is to use a grate or a hatch cover to block off the stairs. This blocks anything from getting into your fortress, and building destroyers can't access these from below to destroy them.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 08:49:47 pm »

Build an up staircase on top of your up/down staircase that breached the caverns. Up staircases include a floor that will then seal off the opening.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 08:09:04 am »

Oh okay sweet, thank you.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 08:44:48 am »

Build an up staircase on top of your up/down staircase that breached the caverns. Up staircases include a floor that will then seal off the opening.

My favorite method. It's fast and it's neat.  If you use the proper stone/block type, it will blend in nicely.