Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: semi-molten rock, caverns and magma sea  (Read 5596 times)

dwarf_granada

• Bay Watcher
  • ?
    • View Profile
semi-molten rock, caverns and magma sea
« on: July 04, 2012, 05:17:11 pm »

Hello there.

I readed that semi-molten rock apears on the buttom of magma seas.
I readed(and seen before) that cavern usually apears at 10- z level below the surface
I also readed that magma sea accurs around z level 120.

Well, my queststion are:

If semi-molten rock appears on the button of magma, why i found it before magma?
i'm at z lvl 160 and still havent found any cavern.
And also still havent found magma.

I used the standant world gen.

Any tips for finding caverns and magma?

-- edit --

Its safe to dig around the semi-molten rock? Or i will find some unkillabled magma mega best that lay eggs?

I have several layers of defense below the main fortress. Most of the are weapon traps and some cages.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 05:24:36 pm by dwarf_granada »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: semi-molten rock, caverns and magma sea
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 05:45:06 pm »

Semi-molten rock appears at the bottom of the magma sea, but it also forms a (mostly) solid layer between the magma sea and the deepest parts of the map, the area colloquially known as the circus, which is extremely dangerous. Further information is a spoiler; look it up on the wiki if you don't care about that. The magma sea, and the caverns, are big open spaces, but that doesn't mean that there's no solid connection between their tops and bottoms; there are always columns and such that link above and below a layer. If you're (un)lucky, you can dig straight through the center of one of these columns without breaching and revealing the caverns or magma sea.

Finding magma should be a matter of going up somewhat from where you found semi-molten rock. If you want to find magma safely, dig outwards every 3-4 z-levels from your shaft until you encounter warm stone, then stop and dig towards the same place 1 z-level above where you found warm stone. If you find warm stone again, stop and go another z-level up. Otherwise, once you're above the last place you found warm stone, dig down staircases to reveal the magma.

Digging through semi-molten rock is one of the most dangerous undertakings available in the game. Further information is not available here (though the danger is not an unkillable magma megabeast, egglaying or otherwise, and in fact is survivable with preparation). As long as you're above the SMR, however, you're mostly safe; the critters that swim in magma aren't very dangerous.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

dwarf_granada

• Bay Watcher
  • ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 05:54:20 pm »

So, there arent any super strong monsters at magma?

What are the risks? Magma flooding?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 06:21:04 pm »

None of the magma creatures are tremendously dangerous. Magma and fire men are extremely uncommon, fire imps are very rare and usually only attack if they see a dwarf, and magma crabs tend to only attack if a dwarf comes close to them. The danger comes from the fact that creatures that live in magma quickly become as hot as magma and take some time to cool off, and some of them can throw fireballs, too, so they can set fire to things and people. You'll usually only see magma crabs, though, and only one group at a time, so you can usually just stay away from them. No forgotten beasts enter through the magma.

The only real risk from magma is accidentally letting magma go where you don't want it to be. Magma will not flow up outside a volcano unless pumped, however, so as long as you only breach the magma sea from above, you're more-or-less safe.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

dwarf_granada

• Bay Watcher
  • ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 07:15:14 pm »

The wiki says that below the third lvl of caves always will be magma. Well... I i'm at magma sea now, if i found the top of the magma sea i will found an cavern?

I still havent found any caverns in this map :(

Any tips for  searching caverns?

Anyway, thx for the help.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 08:07:43 pm »

Standard cavern depth can be quite deep. However, if you've reached magma and haven't hit a cavern, one of two things occurred. You have Armok's own luck, and missed them. Try backing off ten levels and dig shafts in the four directions, using shift and the arrow keys. If that doesn't bring you caverns, then keep trying.

The other option: Did you mess around with the world gen parameters? If so you may have inadvertently disabled caverns.

dwarf_granada

• Bay Watcher
  • ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 08:14:41 pm »

Was just Amarok's luck  8)

I found the cavern

I just digged around the magma sea.

Any tips of something usefull to do with caverns?

All times i found a cavern i just seal it, or fill with traps  :P

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 08:23:36 pm »

Any tips of something usefull to do with caverns?
1)Throw useless migrants or nobles in them
2)Wall off the edges and flood them with magma
3)Move your entire fortress down there in a "aboveground" style fort below the earth. Don't wall off any edges and see how long you can survive
4)Make the entire caverns into a huge constantly-changing maze (triggered by a bunch of kittens in a room full of pressure plates) and then throw captured goblins into them. Have the only exit have a cage trap located on it so you can capture any "winners" and send them back in again. Keep high scores.
5)Catch as many forgotten beasts as you can and make an arena for captured goblins and traders.
6)Um... Just about anything dwarfy that you feel like really. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

dwarf_granada

• Bay Watcher
  • ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 08:44:13 pm »

I just loved what i just read  :D

Specifically number 4.