Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Choosing Dwarves for Embark?  (Read 819 times)

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Choosing Dwarves for Embark?
« on: July 08, 2012, 07:34:41 pm »

Is there any way to mod the game in such a way that you can choose specific dwarves to take with you on embark? To clarify, I decided to take a more in-depth approach to my latest fortress, and in the course of preparations I got bored and decided to draw out their faces. Over the course of it I grew very attached to all these dwarves and started to see their individual personalities come through. I took my time tailoring their skill points to fit each of them exactly and I had already started imagining the stories that would be created through them.

Then, when the time to embark came, the game crashed as soon as I tried to zoom out to get a better look at the embark site.

I lost them all.  :'(

Is there a way to mod the game so you can choose seven specific dwarves from your parent civilization to come with you? Because I really want those guys back.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Choosing Dwarves for Embark?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 09:50:48 pm »

I don't think so.

In thi init files, however, you're going to want to turn on the option for save-on-embark. that way you should (theoretically) have a save in place even if the game crashes. (not guaranteed, obviously, but better than nothing.)

In d_init.txt, find the following:

[INITIAL_SAVE:NO]

and change it to YES.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 09:51:04 pm »

No, at least not as far as I know.
You might have better luck if you try the modding subforum, though.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 10:24:20 pm »

This is outside the purview of modding. Memory hacking might be able to do something like this. In particular, I seem to recall DFusion doing something along these lines. It's now part of the DFHack tool library.

You also seem to a small misconception, namely a belief that the dwarves you embark with existed in world gen and so actually exist prior to embarking. This is not the case; those 7 dwarves you embark with (and only those 7) are randomly-generated at the time of embark and cannot be found anywhere until you embark with them, so memory hacking to get specific members of your civilization as your starting 7 is going to be ineffective for what you want and also probably impractical in any case.

Those 7 you became so attached to aren't even gone, they simply never existed in the first place. Tough luck  :-\
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!