Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carrying the bin to the bar to stockpile and traders not leaving  (Read 1125 times)

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello,

This seems to be something new in 0.34, but I'm seeing alot of cases of dwarves taking a bin or barrel from a stockpile and running to the bar/plant to put it in the barrel, instead of the other way around. Is there any way to get around this?

Also, it looks like caravans with wagons aren't leaving my depot (A season and a half after arriving), although I'm not sure if that isn't because the mod I'm playing allows for 2 caravans to show up at the same time.

Edit: I should say, I've tried forbidding/deconstructing my depot, as well as mining out a larger then 3 pathway to the surface
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 06:49:18 pm by ioi101 »

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Carrying the bin to the bar to stockpile and traders not leaving
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 06:56:17 pm »

For the first question: I can't see any way around it, except just forbidding barrels/bins from certain stockpiles. For instance, I've forbid all barrels in my seeds stockpile for now. I still get some spam about can't plant due to no seeds, when I do have them, but not nearly as badly.

Second question: Hrm, it might be something messed up from the mod, or it might be that they're slow packing their things up. Although that seems to be perhaps a bit on the long side - but I've been having caravans stick around for a full season sometimes, and ending up screwing up the next caravan because they're not finished packing and getting out in time for the next caravan to get in there.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 08:10:17 pm »

If wagons aren't leaving the depot, check the [D]epot Accessibility and make sure you haven't trapped them inside...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 09:02:04 pm »

Nope, they are green. I didn't change anything about my entrance since they entered.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 09:28:45 pm »

Nope, they are green. I didn't change anything about my entrance since they entered.

Well, just so you know, since v0.34.08 came out, traps now block wagon access.  If you set up traps along the entrance to your trade depot after they arrived, then those traps now block their way out.

Also, if more than one trade caravan tries to exit/enter at the same time (one is leaving while the other is coming in), then the two trade caravans can get stuck together.  You may need to widen your hallways if this happens so that they can untangle themselves.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 05:39:26 am »

What exactly are you trading your caravans? If your trading them a ton of crafts crammed into like 10 bins and they aren't leaving then something weird is happening. If your like me and trading them 10 bins worth of crafts without the bins then they can take forever. I've had caravans sometimes take 2-3 seasons before they finally left since they had so much to pack up. It's especially been a problem since Toady removed the old "fast pack" exploit.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 07:32:14 am »

Have you tried deconstructing your Depot? After the merchants failed to leave, I tried that and they left promptly afterwards.

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 08:17:29 am »

Well, just so you know, since v0.34.08 came out, traps now block wagon access.  If you set up traps along the entrance to your trade depot after they arrived, then those traps now block their way out.

Also, if more than one trade caravan tries to exit/enter at the same time (one is leaving while the other is coming in), then the two trade caravans can get stuck together.  You may need to widen your hallways if this happens so that they can untangle themselves.

Thank you, this was it. I didn't even think traps could be the culprit but yes, I made a row of traps heh. Alright one more reason to not bother with traps then.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 08:36:51 am »

Traps are so win, you should just have two entrances. One for traders, one for sieges.