Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lazy ass military  (Read 698 times)

Noodler13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lazy ass military
« on: July 02, 2012, 02:46:06 pm »

so today a cheery Minotaur visited the fortress and made good friends with one of my wood cutters, i decided to experiment and just send my single militia captain to see how effective he really was (when the Minotaur appeared on screen every single part of its body was yellow except his upper body which was normal)

but instead of going and carrying out orders like a soldier is supposed to he has to go pickup equipment first, you cant go into battle without a -left mitten- after all. he ran around the fort doing whatever besides what i wanted him to and then his job finally switched to kill the thing but now he just stands around in the clothes stockpile like a jackoff. annoyed, i sent the rest of the crossbow team hoping one of them would go actually be a soldier but half of them say (no reachable target) which is ridiculous cause hes just running around the surface getting to know my fisherman and whoever else is left to chop wood now.. theres nothing blocking them from going out there theyre just ass holes or something.

so is there something to do about this or is it just a bug?

Noodler13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy ass military
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 02:57:05 pm »

now all of them say unreachable target! theres one retard out there watching the minutaur run around but he wont move his god damn ass and shoot the bitch! arg

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 03:14:42 pm »

Knutor was complaining today that his dwarves didn't seem to be able to find paths to their targets as well. Dunno what it is, haven't seen it myself. The alert does sound as if you have a bridge raised or have in some other way no access to the minotaur.

Uploading a save or maybe a screenshot of your fort's entrance area might help us help you more.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 04:02:25 pm »

I've had this issue too. It seems to be random, since some of my squads work and some don't.

Issuing a move order usually fixes the problem for me, though.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Noodler13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 05:28:36 pm »

Knutor was complaining today that his dwarves didn't seem to be able to find paths to their targets as well. Dunno what it is, haven't seen it myself. The alert does sound as if you have a bridge raised or have in some other way no access to the minotaur.

Uploading a save or maybe a screenshot of your fort's entrance area might help us help you more.

drawbridge was definitely down, i ordered them to station out near it and tried to order the kill again but i got the same thing even when he was in range to shoot. anyway it walked into my fort and got eaten by my dog horde so thats okay too.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 08:07:06 pm »

I've had this problem, but even worse. A couple of times my military dwarves got stuck in place and dragged my fps down to 5 spamming "cannot reach" jobs every freaking tick.
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 08:52:33 pm »

I've seen that a lot. My map is small and flat, and has many open and direct routes from the middle to the edge. There is nothing to stop soldiers going anywhere they want. Nothing, not doors, not drawbridges, not traps, nothing.

But they still say "cannot reach target" even if the target is standing on the ground with an obvious path directly to it.

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
  • Please Urist wear your masterwork steel armour
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 09:54:29 am »

Had what sounds like exactly the same issue in my last fort

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=112367.0

Ultimately annoyed me so much I quit in a human tantrum spiral. ;-)

Would love to know if it's a bug or user error.