Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whoops! Wagon floundered in water.  (Read 527 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Whoops! Wagon floundered in water.
« on: July 03, 2012, 01:49:50 pm »

I think it must have been raining.

Anyway, one of the human wagons lost its load on the way in to my trade depot.  The other wagons got through unharmed ... 'Apologies, but we are still unloading' (or something of that sort of message) ... then left without trading.

So, questions,
* Is my tiny and mostly undefended fortress going to be swamped by a human siege next season?
* Does it make any difference if I nick the stuff they dropped or not?
()==[:::::::::::::>

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whoops! Wagon floundered in water.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 02:39:16 pm »

Traders calculate the profit they made after leaving your map by comparing the value of the stuff they entered and left with. The stuff they dropped is already marked in the "loss" column, whether you use it or not. When they don't make much profit, or they take a loss, they bring you more garbage and less important stuff next year. What they probably won't do is siege you. They generally only do that when you kill their diplomat.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 03:10:27 pm »

Or if you jack an entire shipment.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 04:19:00 pm »

Ah, thanks for the info.

I decided not to proceed with that fortress anyway as I messed it up in a different way as well.

I discovered just how much land you could flood using just rainfall, murky ponds, and long and narrow drainage areas.  Although they were continually emptying on to dry land in a couple of places it took such a long time for water to flow along them that most of it was still up in the five and sixes and not going down.  I could have bashed away and maybe fixed the problem, but it was easier to try again from start.

This time around my trusty dwarves are learning to love heights - living in wooden towers high above the ground with walls only on one side. They complain of vertigo, but I tell them to just think of it as tunnelling into the sky. :P
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 04:21:15 pm by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>