Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SAVE THE CHILDREN!  (Read 1395 times)

spriksprak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
SAVE THE CHILDREN!
« on: June 30, 2012, 06:30:34 pm »

I've noticed over my last few forts that an inordinate number of the dwarven offspring are going into mad tantrum rages. Most often the cause is of all things being embarrassed over a lack of clothing (indeed this is often enough to put them on a hair trigger into miserable state despite my best efforts to provide booze, etc.). Apart from obviously ensuring there are clothes on hand are there any obvious steps someone could recommend - kinda tired of them tantrumming and destroying things. Most recently my master jewler dodged a swing at him and fell down the well and drowned!

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SAVE THE CHILDREN!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 07:34:19 pm »

So whats the question here?  Tantrum spirals are a perfectly normal part of a healthy fortress. If you want to get rid of the children I suggest a drowning trap, it preserves the bodies in one piece for easy burial.  If you want to stop the tantrum spirals I suggest building a legendary dining hall and tons of personal bedrooms.

spriksprak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 07:46:51 pm »

The questions in case it wasn't clear is why are the children particularly vulnerable to low emotion, especially where their clothes are concerned? This does not effect the adult dwarves and while a few might be unhappy from time to time in both fortresses I have maybe 5 out of 150 very unhappy adult dwarves and perhaps half or more of the child population very unhappy to miserable, just now the dining room has four different children in it starving and dehydrated, all gone stark raving mad from very little provocation compared with how the adults are dealing with it.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 08:03:15 pm »

What version are you using?  34.11 is supposed to have eliminated bad moods for children from lack of clothing.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 08:32:30 pm »

Make sure you have spare clothing. Migrantite is an excellent and cheap source, but you get free clothes while processing goblinite.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 01:30:09 am »

provide some expensive roasts and perhaps a statue garden to keep them the right side of happiness untill they have the time to put on some clothes. And yeah, make more clothes. Not when they're needed, by then it's too late.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 07:18:41 am »

The biggest problem is, there's not many good thoughts kids get as babies. One of the few good thoughts they get is from mist. The trick is to have enough mist generators in the maternity ward (or equivilant) that the dwarflings get plenty of mist. Mist is good for a developing baby's sanity.

Also, try not to have too many of Bab'y family killed. That ruins happiness.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 04:13:37 pm »

The problem is babies are growing up to children, then suddenly noticing they're naked, and going crazy before food/anything else can give them good thoughts. You probably haven't assigned the babies bedrooms either (and they don't claim their own), so the kids are sleeping either in a dormitory or on the ground.

In any case, are you playing the newest version? The fixes for 34.11 include:
"handled child clothing thoughts, hopefully for real this time"

...by which I at least understood that this very issue would've been solved. As far as I know the intended behaviour has always been that children would start gathering clothing, but they shouldn't get bad thoughts from lack of clothing until they're adults., giving you a comfy 11 years to clothe them.

KVC627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 09:29:09 pm »

I was having the same problem, and this seemed to fix it for me.

Don't give children a bedroom.  I make a large 11x10 room and place a bed, and chest for each child.  When making the room off the bed move it down to 1 square and assign the child.  I also throw a couple of caged animals (birds mostly plus a puppy and kitten) in the room, and the children spend most of their time there.

wwwwwwwwwww
wcb cb cb cb cbw
w                    w
w cages cages  door
w                    w
wcb cb cb cb cbw

w=wall c=chest b=bed

When they grow up, then I give them a room of thier own.  Worked in 34.07 and now 34.11

spriksprak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 01:04:20 pm »

The problem is babies are growing up to children, then suddenly noticing they're naked, and going crazy before food/anything else can give them good thoughts. You probably haven't assigned the babies bedrooms either (and they don't claim their own), so the kids are sleeping either in a dormitory or on the ground.

In any case, are you playing the newest version? The fixes for 34.11 include:
"handled child clothing thoughts, hopefully for real this time"

...by which I at least understood that this very issue would've been solved. As far as I know the intended behaviour has always been that children would start gathering clothing, but they shouldn't get bad thoughts from lack of clothing until they're adults., giving you a comfy 11 years to clothe them.

Ahhh this would be the problem, I'm using masterwork 31.10. Thanks for this guys, do you know if 31.11 (with all its changes) is compatible with saves since I'm really enjoying my current fortress and gen (despite the emo kids!)?

I was having the same problem, and this seemed to fix it for me.

Don't give children a bedroom.  I make a large 11x10 room and place a bed, and chest for each child.  When making the room off the bed move it down to 1 square and assign the child.  I also throw a couple of caged animals (birds mostly plus a puppy and kitten) in the room, and the children spend most of their time there.

wwwwwwwwwww
wcb cb cb cb cbw
w                    w
w cages cages  door
w                    w
wcb cb cb cb cbw

w=wall c=chest b=bed

When they grow up, then I give them a room of thier own.  Worked in 34.07 and now 34.11

Thanks for the tip! Will give it a try, always wondered what to do about assigning space to the masses of kids, its a pain enough tunneling out all the adult rooms!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 02:43:38 pm »

I believe there are no raw changes from 34.10 to 34.11, meaning you should be able to drop the new executable(s) into the old directory (without modifying the raw or data directories) and it should work.  But please make a backup copy of everything before you attempt it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 07:23:36 pm »

If you want to get rid of the children I suggest a drowning trap, it preserves the bodies in one piece for easy burial.
I love that this is the first suggestion on a thread entitled "SAVE THE CHILDREN!"
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 08:21:42 pm »

If you want to get rid of the children I suggest a drowning trap, it preserves the bodies in one piece for easy burial.
I love that this is the first suggestion on a thread entitled "SAVE THE CHILDREN!"

Well OP said he's tired of the children's bad attitude and vandalism.  He probably meant to say "SAVE MY FORTRESS FROM THE CHILDREN".
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.