Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, this Goblin dropped an interesting item...  (Read 1744 times)

The Enigmatic L

• Bay Watcher
  • The Truth is always watching
    • View Profile
So, this Goblin dropped an interesting item...
« on: November 12, 2012, 10:40:36 pm »

As I was running through a dungeon, I noticed that the Goblins inhabiting it were strangely well armed. I ran into the rare Bismuth Bronze and lopped the arm off of a goblin holding a Glowing Crimson shield. It's weight is 10v, if that means anything. Has anyone run into this material before? I've never seen a creature wielding it before. What is it?

I'm got the advanced LNB pack and the Wanderer's Mod installed. This is Vanilla. It's a shame reinforcing weapons isn't an option yet. A glowing crimson sword sounds badass!

EDIT: Holy fuck. I've found Steel, Bismuth Bronze, that one Glowing Crimson shield, AND Burning stuff. Burning shield? Burning bow? What the hell? I've never seen these items in Vanilla before! Where are these Goblins getting this crap? The Burning stuff is practically weightless! Any input on this? I would love to know what this jazz is.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 10:48:21 pm by The Enigmatic L »
Does wisdom perhaps appear upon the Earth as a raven inspired by the scent of carrion?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: So, this Goblin dropped an interesting item...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 10:42:22 pm »

I'm guessing wanderer's somehow allows Crimson shields. It's not a material in vanilla.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 10:55:55 pm »

You aren't playing Vanilla, though you may think you are. That is all.

The Enigmatic L

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 11:02:37 pm »

Wanderer's Friend and the LNP don't add or change the world. They just add utilities that make playing the game easier. It's not *officially* Vanilla that I'm playing, since there are mods, but it might as well be. The actual world itself hasn't been changed. I have the same items, materials, and etc that Vanilla has, yes?

I've been playing DF like this for ages. These item materials just showed up out of the blue. Where could they have come from, if they aren't Vanilla?
Does wisdom perhaps appear upon the Earth as a raven inspired by the scent of carrion?

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 11:24:05 pm »

Where could they have come from, if they aren't Vanilla?

Chocolate?
I've never heard of such things happening before in vanilla and just checked the mods you said you had to make sure that stuff wasn't in them. My only thoughts are that you might have installed a new mod and forgotten about it, or you've found Toady's hidden stash of cool and secret stuff.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 11:29:36 pm »

Upload the material.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 11:34:38 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:06:29 pm by Ogdibus »

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 07:26:53 am »

Those materials are present when Wanderer's Friend is installed.

I've seen em myself, with only that mod active. Took it out, materials disappeared.

The Enigmatic L

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 05:25:31 pm »

Ah. Well, thanks for that tidbit, Lich. I want to remain as close to Vanilla as I can, but I don't want to give up Wanderer's Friend. You'd think they'd mention something like this on the mod thread. I've looked a few times and I've never seen it mentioning adding items. I've seen it add secrets, like Mentalists and Pyromancers and stuff, but not items.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 05:30:31 pm »

Speaking from experience, modders may occasionally get a bit carried away and wind up adding in stuff to the mod they're actively working on, because they feel like doing it at the time.  Sometimes without properly documenting it.

This is how crabs, slime aliens and giant tentacled monstrosities wound up in a couple versions of my "Simplicity" mod.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 06:16:56 pm »

Speaking from experience, modders may occasionally get a bit carried away and wind up adding in stuff to the mod they're actively working on, because they feel like doing it at the time.  Sometimes without properly documenting it.

This is how crabs, slime aliens and giant tentacled monstrosities wound up in a couple versions of my "Simplicity" mod.
This sounds highly intriguing.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 07:10:36 pm »

The crabs were intentional, to start with.  Along with clams and I think some other thing.  Then I realized that I was adding more and more content to a mod that was, at its heart, specifically supposed to be a simplification of the truly hysterical diversity in DF.

The aliens and monstrosities were, however, never really intended...  They were just some random tests I'd done and had gotten mixed up in the cooking without me noticing it.