Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Making sieges a joke you ignore  (Read 13123 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Making sieges a joke you ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2012, 02:12:00 pm »

My last mountain fort had a minecart track that allowed migrants to trickle in while the fortress was sealed up tight, with enough beds and metal you really don't need wood. Only problem was traders.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2012, 02:17:27 pm »

My last mountain fort had a minecart track that allowed migrants to trickle in while the fortress was sealed up tight, with enough beds and metal you really don't need wood. Only problem was traders.
I can never find coal on my forts so I need it to fuel my steel industry.  Or I just need to use the melting feature...
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2012, 02:21:20 pm »

I can never find coal on my forts so I need it to fuel my steel industry.  Or I just need to use the melting feature...
Well admittedly it was a mountain fort so there wasn't any above ground wood anyway.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2012, 10:59:32 pm »

I'm testing my design the problems I have faced so far:
1) Traders: using the raisebridge sealed entrance to the edge of the map, works quite well, I let them take a long path and my depot is in the middle of the map, I posted an animal watchtower above the path to detect any kobold/necro/ambusher that happens to spawn in those 4 tiles at the edge... Also traders without wagons (damned elves) when leaving not necessarily take the wagon road (the one with depot access) out, they just left through my kobold path because they don't set off citizen pressure plates...
2) I'm still testing my animal watchtower above the kobold trap, I pastured a pig on a grate above the kobold path and it reveals the kobold and runs away steeping on the pressure plate that would open the retractingbridge bellow the kobold path, the issue is keeping other roaming animals out, so I added a door pet impassable, still got to test if they run away to the pressure plate and back to the pasture on the grate if I designate it as a meting zone, and forbid the door completely to avoid dwarves going there...
3) Citizen pathfinding: my entry does its job sorting citizens from kobolds from goblins, but it depends on breaking pathfinding, creatures have 2 paths in front of them one closed by a door the other open by a floor hatch, they initially path through the hatch path, but just before they are able to get there there is a pressure plate that opens the hatch breaking that path and opens the door opening a new path, as said it works for roaming creatures but if the dwarves are hauling something (like logs from outside to the carpenter's inside or block from inside to the wall project outside) when the path breaks they drop the item on the plate and go on to another job... maybe I'll set up some sort of system with minecarts for hauling stuff outside-inside-outside...
4) Small creatures: domestic creatures smaller than an adult dog are too small to set up a citizen pressure plate, so they keep roaming on the goblin and kobold paths unchecked... solved by pasturing all the animals... also a 1-z-level drop like the ones produced by my opening hatches can hurt and even kill a small creature, I got a gosling killed that way...
5) Liason: not sure if it was just coincidence but I managed to set up a paved road on my wagon closed path and the liason spawned nearby, in contrast to when I didn't have a road that he spawned on the other side of the map...
6) Migrants... those damned idiots spawn anywhere, and by anywhere I mean they actually spawned on the side of the map where there is no access to my fort since the map is divided by a river, the river freezes but they spawned on the wrong side of the river in the middle of the summer... -_-  I was thinking of making a special path with access to a meeting zone but they seem to completely ignore everything...??

Dramier

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Sinfonia
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2012, 01:12:45 am »

I accomplished this rather easily.   (Note:  I didn't read after page one because I didn't see the additional posts until after I hit reply.)

I was lucky enough to score a map with a seven tile high waterfall.   I waited until winter, capped off the river with floodgates, then built the entrance to my fort at the bottom of the waterfall.   

Whenever I get migrants or a trade caravan, I just hit a switch and the waterfall stops.   Merchants and migrants come in.   If there are invaders, I just leave the waterfall on and let them work out amongst themselves in true dwarven fashion.

So I guess technically this isn't self-contained since I trigger it by turning the waterfall on and off.   It was amusing though to see the occasional cat wander out the door and get pummeled by the waterfall and then washed bleeding and broken down the river.   
Independent Game Developer
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]