Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Why Leather?  (Read 7091 times)

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why Leather?
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2012, 05:44:01 am »

I think pickaxes being weapons of incredible destructive power is something we can all agree on.  Or at least, all of us who've seen an inconvenient mountain disappear, and a miner get into a scrape and forced to defend himself.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2012, 05:51:40 am »

I find a breastplate, helmet and gauntlets are enough for my archers. They're usually fighting from behind fortifications, so armour isn't a huge priority, but if they do get hit then an arrow in the leg or the shoulder isn't usually incapacitating.

And gauntlets are more important than you might think, even for crossbow dwarves; they seem to need both hands to reload, so a lucky hit that breaks bones or severs tendons is nearly as good as a kill.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2012, 06:32:21 am »

On the topic of scary dwarves, I have a friend who I swear is aspiring to become an oversized dwarf. He's relatively short and well built, and has a massive collection of weapons, and has nw started talking to me about wanting to become a blacksmith... He's got extremely long hair and is also working on a beard...
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2012, 07:09:14 am »

one of the most disappointing thing about this game is that i can't skin my enemy and wear them like a suit... so that when the next siege comes, they will know what happened to their friends and their impending doom... that and trophies... more reasons for the dwarfs to get themselves killed... oh urist mcdorf just sliced this gobbo's ear off... excuse me while i pick it up and run a pig tail thread through it to make a pretty necklace to show off to all the laddies how awesome i am...

Chopped-off goblin (and other) limbs (serrated disks!) can rot to give you usable bones. Dunno if you could also use the skull like this, if you manage to get a decapitation. So you could have some dwarves wearing goblin bone helms, greaves, gauntlets and leggings, wielding a goblin bone crossbow, shooting goblin bone bolts. Also, I recall seeing a screenshot where someone had acquired some goblin leather somehow, possibly by trading from elves and/or modded.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2012, 07:25:02 am »

Leather is great. Trading will get you more than you can use before the next caravan if you set the priority on all of them to max during trade requests. It's almost always the first armor I make except on an above average embark that has an iron ore in quantity on a volcano.

After I make the first 50 suits of leather for my population (which is usually set around 35 in the init) then I make a few more and set the leatherworker to decorate with leather with a leather armor/clothing/finished goods stockpile (whichever works) around the leatherworks. After he finishes those he starts to reclaim goblin clothes by decorating them with dwarf arts. He's usually one of the busiest dwarves in the fort and he's doing somewhat interesting stuff and it's difficult to run out of materials and stuff to apply the materials to since he can make more.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]