Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weird no valid target for militia issue  (Read 2751 times)

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
  • Please Urist wear your masterwork steel armour
    • View Profile
Weird no valid target for militia issue
« on: June 28, 2012, 04:57:52 pm »

Looks like there may be bugs related to this but suggestions or advice on workarounds appreciated.

My fort entrance sits on a flat area of z level with some walls but no doors or drawbridge (I am playing a challenge to meet siege and ambush in the field with minimal traps and no sealing off my fort.)

I use a civilian burrow to recall everybody inside (including my war dogs it seems????) when there is a threat and send out my militia to do battle. Except they march out the front door and halt almost instantly (beyond the edge of the civilian burrow so I dont think its a burrow issue).  They will move further if ordered to move but the kill order produces a no valid reachable target message????  No valid reachable target includes the target 15 -20 tiles away on the same z level with no visible barrier.

Any ideas?

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weird no valid target for militia issue
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 06:26:20 pm »

I see that message a lot. However, my soldiers still do kill stuff. So I ignore the message.

I also have lots of soldiers, lots of ways into the fort, and very few traps. What I did was built a wall 22 tiles in from the edge of the map. In the middle of each wall, I put a hole big enough for a caravan. Then I built gatehouses outside the hole, and put a barracks in each gatehouse. That way the soldiers are already in the right place when the enemies arrive.

So even though my soldiers say "no valid reachable target" quite often, they still do fight. Your soldiers are just standing around not fighting right?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 11:27:48 pm »

There's your problem.  Here I'll quote you and explain.

I am playing a challenge to meet siege and ambush in the field with minimal traps and no sealing off my fort.

Some dorfs have awful Focus.  Ambushes require Observe, Observe requires good Focus.  Release some cats to do some reconnoitering.  Also some have this thing, kinesthetic sense, and others well don't.  See:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Attribute

My guess is they just can't see um.  Once you establish they are not burrowed, go ahead and keep moving them around, what I like to do is hide them behind a wall, and catch the invaders as they come around.  Don't do a sweeping rectangular target, that sometimes produces crisscrossed targeting.

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 08:50:44 am »

Thanks Knutor.  I am not sure I explained myself very well.  I am not trying to ambush Gobbos I am merely trying to survive their dastardly as incursions.  I dont think this problem is perception related as the little armoured dorfs come tearing out of the gates with apparent target in sight... then they seem to hit an invisible wall, stop and then report the no target message.  Never had this problem before... any other ideas much appreciated...?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 12:07:37 pm »

I understood. 

Goblin Ambushers are stealthed, tho, unlike Sieges.  A soldier needs to use Observe higher than Goblin Ambushers stealth to detect, target, and hit.  A cat and dog, however can smell em.  Unlike a dwarf.  Not sure if detection is telepathic between cats and dogs, and dwarfs.  Or between dwarfs and dwarfs. If one soldier had sufficient Observe, to detected them, will the rest there after? 

This is a gray area for me too.  I hope more people chirp up with answers. 
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 12:15:28 pm »

Thanks Knutor.  I am not sure I explained myself very well.  I am not trying to ambush Gobbos I am merely trying to survive their dastardly as incursions.  I dont think this problem is perception related as the little armoured dorfs come tearing out of the gates with apparent target in sight... then they seem to hit an invisible wall, stop and then report the no target message.  Never had this problem before... any other ideas much appreciated...?

knutor has misunderstood and misinformed before

I have never heard of this before. Any chance the invaders had flying mounts?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 10:16:50 am »

Stealth gobbos... Sounds very predator. ;-)

It's weird behaviour I have never seen before. Ambush springs... Gobbos fully visible. Targets assigned to my valiant defenders who charge out the gates... Slam to an enexpected halt and then stand by idle while gobbos beat, lash and chop to death unfortunate civilians.

No mounts at all Garath.

Remain flummoxed.