Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Double-slit problem  (Read 1457 times)

nullprod

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Double-slit problem
« on: June 30, 2012, 10:59:05 am »

So I'm cutting down through an aquifer now, and though the first level worked fine with the double-slit method from the wiki, later levels have not.
Here's what I have:
Top Layer: Sandy Clay Loam Layer + constructed wooden walls
 ----
|.%%.|
|XXXX|
 ----

Next two layers: next layer is Loamy Sand, Layer after is Dolomite
 -  -
|X||X|
|X||X|
 -  -

Though running the pump on the top layer still works fine and drains out the layer below, the second layer isn't draining into the lower layer properly, as the previous one did. What am I doing wrong?

Just to be clear, all layers here are damp.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 11:25:33 am by nullprod »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Double-slit problem
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 11:55:58 am »

can't help with your problem, but the only reason the dolomite registers as damp is because there is an aquifer above it. Don't dig into it from below, it'll make the aquifer flow all the water down, so you have just one more layer to get past, the dolomite itself isn't an aquifer, but the bottom of the loamy sand is.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

nullprod

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 12:50:23 pm »

Hopefully, you're right, and I didn't check the lower level properly. Thanks!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 01:26:38 am »

I'm having exactly the same situation, with chalk instead of dolomite though.
a list of aquifer layers and stones can be found here:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Aquifer

the important thing is to remember that aquifers also release water into the tile below them if it's dug out (I didn't remember several times. It's quite interesting, having a waterfall in your central staircase. Should make a drain next time.).
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

CatkinsFTW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 08:19:17 am »

Garath, nullprod
Dolomite and chalk are not aquifer layers.  These are the stone layers just below your aquifer and they will not drain the water that is sitting in them.  Once you have walled off the aquifer layer above the dolomite/chalk layer you will have to drain the water sitting in the pit with either pumps or buckets.  The double slit method has separate instructions for the last layer since you can't drain it into layer beneath it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 03:28:35 pm »

Garath, nullprod
Dolomite and chalk are not aquifer layers.  These are the stone layers just below your aquifer and they will not drain the water that is sitting in them.  Once you have walled off the aquifer layer above the dolomite/chalk layer you will have to drain the water sitting in the pit with either pumps or buckets.  The double slit method has separate instructions for the last layer since you can't drain it into layer beneath it.

thank you for telling me exactly what I am saying.

can't help with your problem, but the only reason the dolomite registers as damp is because there is an aquifer above it. Don't dig into it from below, it'll make the aquifer flow all the water down, so you have just one more layer to get past, the dolomite itself isn't an aquifer, but the bottom of the loamy sand is.