Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stupid Noob Question #467: How do you power a mist generator?  (Read 517 times)

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Starting to play with pumps. Not the sexy shoes I hide in my closet. The other kind. Screw pumps!
I see the design on the wiki for the mist generator. But what powers the pumps? It doesn't seem to be perpetual motion.
Or I am seeing wrong.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/File:Newmist.jpg

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Noob Question #467: How do you power a mist generator?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 06:01:27 pm »

You need a separate power supply for it, probably in the form of a water reactor or other water wheels though 4+ windmills would also work. Depending on positioning, this may be very close to your mist generator or quite far away (the further away it is, the more power it needs to produce just to transfer).

That diagram, as you noticed, doesn't include the power train connection.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 06:07:26 pm »

Would I need a power source to each pump?

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 06:17:53 pm »

Would I need a power source to each pump?

Depends on the design.  Pumps can transfer power, so if they're connected to each other,  you only need one source.  But it'll need to be strong enough to power all the pumps at once, plus the gears and axles.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 06:44:50 pm »

Actually, that one has it's power supply built into the system. Just extend up from the gear.

I build them into the walls, and have the water supply running back under the wall, past water wheels providing power. By sending the water up in lines, I can provide more power at each level.